App for storing sensitive information on iphone, syncs with mac.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by applesupergeek, Jan 1, 2010.

1. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

Hey boys and gals, happy new year to you and your families.

I am looking for a stable and extra safe platform for my iphone and mac to store sensitive data (bank account no.s, passwords, receipts, certificates, ids, cc etc.). It will have to sync preferable over the air, have super strong encryption and allow a variety of files.

I ve really looked deep and hard for this, but I haven't come away with an impression that one is better than the other, or that enough users are vouching for it, hence I am posting to the forums for experience.

Off the top of my head what seemed to stand out was meo, lockbox and 1 password (sp?), but none was all around convincing or had enough good references.

If there are any users that have a contrarian approach to safety (the people who think a laptop with no wifi that never connects to the network being the only solution) I would love them to chime in, because it's important that we try to establish a realistic but practical approach to our data that will safeguard them.

2. kelpi macrumors regular

kelpi

1Password! Seriously, not enough good referencing? You obviously did not do enough research.

I use 1Password on my Mac & iPhone and it's the #1 app I recommend for anyone.

Check out this link:
    http://agilewebsolutions.com/products/1Password/testimonials

It allows you to store anything sensitive; passwords, logins, notes, financial info, ect.

3. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trust me I did a lot of research into this.

True that was the one that got the most attention, I noticed that hence I mentioned it. But it was more geared toward it being a password manager and I don't want a password manager, but a safe to keep my info/data. Plus the encryption, if I remember correctly, was good but not great. For example, again if I remember correctly, on the iphone the password code for the application is a 4 no. code, that's dead easy to crack. I want alphanumericals, but like I said I may not remember correctly.

4. kelpi macrumors regular

kelpi

applesupergeek,

Perhaps I am biased as I've never tried any of the former apps you mentioned but 1Password does safe keep your info and data in addition to your passwords. As for the iPhone app it does initially ask for a 4 digit PIN but if you want to add an extra level of protection, it allows for you to turn on the master password for that particular item (password, info, bank account info, ect) result in you having to enter your master password in order to view, edit, or use.

5. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey buddy thanks for that info, I will probably give 1password a try soon, I d really like it if they bundled one price for iphone/mac app, but they don't seem to do.

Thread is open for other suggestions too, of course.

6. iFerd macrumors 6502a

You should also look at SplashID. The total cost for the iPhone app and the desktop companion will be $30. I have nothing against 1password, and it's clear that many Mac users are devoted users of it. I came to the iPhone from a Palm, and SplashID was a natural for me. It's oriented to passwords, but it can be customized so the fields can refer to anything. The latest iPhone release includes the ability to include attached imagestoo.

7. forum user macrumors regular

SplashID: +1

I got 1Password during one of their promotion phase for free, but could never get friendly with it. SplashID does what I need and rather painless, too

8. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the heads up guys, splash was suggested to me, so it's good to hear you have an effortless experience with it.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

splashid works well but it pissed me off when they came out with the new desktop version you had to buy it. it had been free since splashid came out.