app for taking notes in school

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Harp77, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Harp77 macrumors member

Harp77

I am taking a few college courses and am using my iPad to take notes, which is amazing!

However, the app I am using to take notes is just the stock Notes that comes with the Ipad, which works ok.

Is there something better out there that works better for taking notes in class?
    :confused:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

What he said. There are a lot of discussions out there that can get you started, and help you to figure out what your own needs are. I gotta say, the fact that the built in notes app is amazing to you is a really good sign!

As you're reading some old threads, keep in mind that people may refer to note taking as exclusively handwriting with a stylus, where as others mean typing on the screen or separate keyboard.

Here are some general aspects to consider:
    - stylus input, vs. typing
    - syncing to cloud/other devices
    - conversion to/from desktop word processing
    - ability to import and annotate other media (pdf's, photos, etc)
    - handwriting recognition

No app has it all -- you might expect to have two or three apps to cover the above bases. Then there's all the stuff I forgot....

4. Harp77 thread starter macrumors member

Harp77

Just typing, no stylus handwritting.

Also, being able to import a pre-made pdf workbook and taking notes in that would be a bonus.

5. MrPeripatetic macrumors newbie

If you are looking for a note taking app that supports handwriting and text input, then I would suggest these three as the best currently available:

ZoomNotes
    GoodNotes
    Notes Plus

I believe all three have lite versions, so you can give them a free test run.

6. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I use notability, great typing interface but also you can highlight or write if you need to.

7. Qwertylizer macrumors regular

I too recommend Notability. It performs well with PDFs and notetaking capabilities are excellent!

8. manchildbeej macrumors newbie

I used mine to take notes in class also. I got the Apple wireless bluetooth keyboard and typed away all day long. If the instructor provided powerpoint lectures, I would take notes in "keynote" by just adding to the slides or adding under the speaker notes section. If there wasn't a lecture provided, I would use "pages"... both of these options made it easier to share notes with classmates and also send it to a computer later.

Like said before, everyone does it a little differently. I used iOS iWork. good luck with school and note taking!

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

10. Harp77 thread starter macrumors member

Harp77

Just something that looks better than the stock Notes app that came with the unit.

11. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Oh ok

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

For PDFs, you want GoodReader, for notes, you can use the new SwiftKey Note app and just not use the Evernote integration. It lets you setup notebooks, use tags, and just plain text.

13. cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

"Evernote Skitch" is the application that get's my vote. Sometimes, I just use Apple's "Pages" app, part of the iWork applications.

14. ron7624, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014

ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Easy Writer Lite has a great keyboard with the 4 arrow keys that lets you move the cursor without having to use your finger on the screen. Is so very time-consuming to move the cursor with your finger, and if you are trying to keep up with the lecture these keys help a lot.
    To me, it would be so great if Apple included these keys on this standard iOS keyboard. I have requested numerous times, maybe one day they will listen.

15. Harp77 thread starter macrumors member

Harp77

I decided to try Notability - so far looks good :)
    Just have to get used to it now lol.

16. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

If you want to be able to sync your notes and access them on other devices I.E. your phone or computer, I reccomend using a program such as Evernote or Microsoft OneNote