app for tethering iPhone data with other devices

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BacklitFirefly, Dec 29, 2010.

1. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

What is the best one to use? What is less of a battery drain?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

MyWi or PDANet is good to use. They both act as a wi-fi hot spot. Both will probably have equal battery drain.

3. ihonda macrumors 68000

you can only tether to other iDevice or laptops with mywi, u can not use mywi to provide wifi for blackberrys, idk about the androids but i know blackberrys wont work

4. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

This is because Blackberrys do not support ad-hoc networks.

5. currentcomics1 macrumors newbie

MiWi works great to resolve the battery draining issue adjust under "advanced wifi" and change the "transmit power to around" 40% and you will not have much of a battery problem. The transmit power is at 80% when it is purchased. Although your iPhone will need to be closer to the computer you are using. I can not speak on itether as I have not used it.

OOPS posted on your other thread too sorry for being redundant.

6. hatcheeks macrumors member

hatcheeks

Can you only do tethering by jail breaking your iPhone?

7. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

That depends on your carrier. Some carrier allows native tethering. If your carrier doesn't allow it then you will need to JB.

8. BacklitFirefly thread starter macrumors 6502

That.

Most carriers allow tethering or offer it for an additional monthly fee. My carrier (AT&T) offers tethering now, but you pay more than twice for the same 2gb data plan -- AND they've somehow got it set not to work with a wifi-only iPad. I can't figure that one out. Every other mobile data plan I've ever heard of can't tell whether you're using an iPad or a GPS-enabled blender. :confused:

9. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Native tethering only allows you to use USB/bluetooth. iPad requires wi-fi. If you want to use wifi then you need to JB and use PDANet or Mywi.

My carrier (HK vodafone) definitely can tell if you are using your phone as modem. I was charged for $100USD for my data (tethering) even i had unlimited data plane. I believe all carrier can tell if you are tethering or not but whether or not they do anything is a different story. Almost all people said ATT won't do anything but in my case, i was charged.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You must've been doing some heavy data usage.