App for tracking hikes

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dsgh, Sep 16, 2016.

1. dsgh macrumors newbie

I just received my Apple Watch Series 2.

Next week I am going trekking in Nepal and I am looking for an app to track my hikes using the built-in GPS. The Apple Workout app could work, but ideally I am looking for an app offering the ability to study my trekking on a map online later and possibly export a GPX file. I've tried Runkeeper, Runtastic and MapMyRun, but either the app doesn't work on the new Apple Watch or they use the iPhone GPS rather than the built-in one, draining the iPhone battery.

Are there any apps that could do this? The main purpose would be to study my trekking on a map afterwards in a Garmin Connect/MyFitnessPal/Strava etc -type of way and the features during the hike is secondary.

Continuous GPS updates are not important if a say once per minute update keeps the battery lasting longer.

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

ViewRanger got demoed on the Keynote and looks like doing what you want. You could check it out on iPhone Keynote. (around 40 mins mark I believe)

3. Bob190 macrumors 6502

Amazingly .. it doesn't appear Viewranger has been updated to use the Series 2 integrated GPS yet. Even more amazing, is that there isn't a single running app in the App Store that supports the integrated GPS of the Series. Really poor coordination between Apple and the developer community unfortunately.

4. dmanthony1 macrumors newbie

dmanthony1

I have been using Runtastic and it is awesome. It tracks hiking very well. I haven't got my watch yet, but it apparently uses the heart rate monitor of the watch too. As you point out, it doesn't work on the series 2 without the iPhone connected. Without a battery pack, it does drain the iPhone battery rather quickly. I have the 6S+ and it uses 50% in 4 hours, so it won't last a full day without some extra juice. Hopefully they update the app to utilize the new watch gps, though it isn't a deal breaker for me personally.

5. tivoboy macrumors 68030

View ranger looks nice and the demo was great but man it's also 'spensive