App for uninstalling other apps completely

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by r21hugo, Dec 17, 2007.

1. r21hugo macrumors member

r21hugo

hi I recently swithed to mac and lately I have found my self installing lots of different apps to try them out. I want to know if there is a good app out there for uninstalling programs completely.

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

More complete than dragging them to the trash?

Mac software (except maybe for some Apple Pro stuff like Final Cut Studio) is generally self-contained - there are no DLLs or any extraneous stuff installed on your system. There is no registry.

The only remnants most software leave behind is "preferences" - which take up whole kilobytes of space and don't actually do anything. They are in your Home Folder/Library/Preferences - simply drag the preferences associated with your app into the Trash and empty. It usually isn't worth the bother, though. I wouldn't worry yourself over it.

3. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

He's looking for installing them, not uninstalling them, which confuses me slightly. I have a third party program for installing apps, but I can't remember what its called.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

What's the point of that? How do you install something incompletely?

That doesn't even make any sense :confused:

EDIT: Aha! I was right in assuming he meant uninstall - note the changed thread title.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

If you are looking for a good uninstall utility I recommend AppZapper. It's not free, but does an excellent job. Since you state that you are installing several apps on a constant basis, this would probably be well worth your money. :cool:

6. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

D'Oh!

7. r21hugo thread starter macrumors member

r21hugo

my mistake

sorry guys I did mean uninstalling them... Apparently the auto correct on my iphone changed it to installing. I apologize for the confusion... Any one know any freeware alternatives to appzapp?

8. JudasX macrumors newbie

yep...AppDelete by Reggie Ashworth. It is comparable to AppZapper

9. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade