App for uploading photos?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by iRabbit, May 2, 2010.

1. iRabbit macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if there are any decent apps for uploading photos on the web?

I know there's an iPhone flickr app and several photo editing apps that let you upload to Twitter, flickr, me.com, Facebook, etc, but I'm wondering if anyone figured out a way to allow more generic file uploading? Like here on Mac forums... If I click manage attachments the "choose file" option is greyed out. I also visit some photo galleries around the web and it's the same there...

Anyone know?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

There's not an app for that.

You need to upload via email or something similar.

3. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

If there is an iPhone app, can't you use it on the iPad?

4. iRabbit thread starter macrumors 6502

The iPhone one only works for flickr or Facebook. I was looking for an iPhone or ipad app that offers the ability to do more of a generic upload to any site that allows it.

5. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Best solution, is get a domain and upload them to a website, your website, then link to them when you need to.

We will start to see more and more of these type of sites allow uploads via email.

6. iRabbit thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah yes, that is a solution :)... I already have my own site and didn't think of that.

However, on my own site I also have a photo gallery and it would be nice to be able to upload photos there. I may end up having to update the software to accommodate more up to date technology but it would be nice to have the ability to upload files in the meantime. Even in the browser, on Facebook, when you're viewing the full site, you can't upload a photo.

7. iRabbit thread starter macrumors 6502

FYI... I resolved my own gallery problem... I can upload via URL, so I just have to us an FTP app (FTP to go) to upload to a temporary directory on my server then add them to the gallery with the URL uploader.

It's not something I'll do often but it's nice to have the ability to do it... Especially if I keep using sketchbook pro to draw stupid cartoons... LOL

8. Edwin124 macrumors member

Photobucket has a iPad app that vie used successfully!

It works great!!

9. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Photobucket has an Ipad app that allows uploading but Flickr doesn't. That is just ridiculous. Does the Photobucket app upload full-resolution photos or are they resized?

10. David R macrumors 6502

The thing is that uploading a picture to a 3rd party shouldn't be the solution to attach files on websites.

This one of those usability things that Apple needs to address. It was not a huge deal on the iPhone since, well, it was a phone first and foremost and phones have certain limitations and most people will accept them.

But the iPad is designed to be an in-between device and if Apple released Pages, Numbers and Keynote (apps that handle files) uploading files of any kind to a website is one of the things that I would expect to be able to do.

11. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

And Apple's released the camera kit, which makes the Ipad a device many will be taking on trips, etc., and then using to offload those images to other places. I know I am looking for a solution for our family vacation in a couple months so I can take the Ipad and our camera and forget about the Macbook. I have my old Mobile Fotos Iphone app for Flickr, so I may have to resort to that on my Ipad, but I was hoping for something a little more streamlined for the Ipad. I may be switching to Photobucket just because of that app . . .

12. Lamonster macrumors regular

Lamonster

I use TapaTalk on my iphone but the forum has to load the script to the site for it to work. I have it loaded on my site and it works great. I wish they would load it here. http://www.tapatalk.com/en/plugin

13. iRabbit thread starter macrumors 6502

You raise a good point.

When I went to Disney with my family 2 years ago, I brought along my MacBook... I created an iWeb site and updated photos every day, VERY EASILY, through dumping from my camera to my laptop, and then dragging all the photos into iWeb. It didn't take more than 15 minutes each evening and our family and friends at home could follow along...

I can't imagine exactly how I'd do this with the iPad.

Of course, I'm a geek so I have figured out a solution for my own web gallery, which happens to allow uploading photos from a web address. I can FTP the photos to my site in a temporary directory and then let the gallery do it's work from there. However, it's not a streamlined or easy solution. It wouldn't be as much fun as the iWeb solution was for Disney. And it doesn't at all resolve the problem of sharing photos as attachments in any gallery/forum system that requires it.

14. PerfectCr macrumors regular

Dropbox. Upload the file from the Dropbox app into your public folder and copy the URL. There you go. Dropbox gives you free 2GB of storage and the opportunity to earn more. You can attached files here via a URL or directly using the img tags obviously.

To the above poster you can create photo galleries with Dropbox as well. Just create a folder within the Photos directory and upload all your files into that folder. Then Dropbox will create a public photo gallery URL for you.

15. LadyHoneyBabe macrumors 6502

Photobucket

I can upload & download photos from my iPad to Photobucket. It's all within the app, so I don't have to use another app to get it on the web. :)

16. Lamonster macrumors regular

Lamonster

Flickr app works fine on the ipad, just tried it.

17. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I host photos on zenfolio and use the myZenfolio app (iphone format only) on my ipad to upload screenshots direct from my ipad.

I figured out how to use the edit section in zenfolio to get the link that I can then paste into a post.

18. steamtoy macrumors regular

since iPad doesn't have built-in finder, I highly doubt you can do that

19. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

You know that you can just email the photos to your flickraccount and it'd show up there?