App for using Custom SMS

openendstraight

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2010
La Vegas
I have had an iPhone since the first version was released, but this is the first time I have jail broken one.

I hear about everyone using custom SMS tines, my question is, what app are you all using. I am not comfortable rooting my phone, so if that is my only option I guess I am out of luck.

Thanks

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
I have had an iPhone since the first version was released, but this is the first time I have jail broken one.

I hear about everyone using custom SMS tines, my question is, what app are you all using. I am not comfortable rooting my phone, so if that is my only option I guess I am out of luck.

Thanks
Youre out of luck.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Rooting poses more of a threat then jailbreaking. You can always restore back to vanilla.

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I think there is a Cydia app called Anytone that will do that.

Otherwise, you can change it with Winterboard. Just search in Cydia for "sms tone".

wolfgang666

macrumors regular
May 6, 2010
I think there is a Cydia app called Anytone that will do that.

Otherwise, you can change it with Winterboard. Just search in Cydia for "sms tone".
just a quick query before i try it.. when a download a sms tone which works through winterboad, all i have to do is just activate it through wintetboard right?? i dnt hav to mess around anything about the SSH right??

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Without out Rooting your phone you can't add custom SMS tones since Apple doesn't allow user to access the Area that those ringtones are store at. It's your choice.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
just a quick query before i try it.. when a download a sms tone which works through winterboad, all i have to do is just activate it through wintetboard right?? i dnt hav to mess around anything about the SSH right??
That is correct. Just activate it then go through your text message tones and see which ones changed. Some of them don't seem to work though. I do that and it works great. It gives lots of extra options for sms sounds.

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
Quick question. I jailbroke purely to get different SMS tones. Well I lucked out and found a metal gear solid codec tone. I had to install winterboard to run it. It could be just my mind but does winterboard affect your battery usage?

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
It could be just my mind but does winterboard affect your battery usage?
I don't think so. I've had an iPhone 3GS with winterboard installed and it has been losing 10% battery per day with very minimal use. That seems pretty normal to me. (My iPhone 4 that I use regularly hardly ever makes it a full day without a charge in the middle)

openendstraight

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2010
La Vegas
I got ToneFX, and it works just like I want. I can change all my allerts to different sounds, ei. text, in coming mail, locking and unlocking phone, sent mail, keyboard presses.

Thanks again all

pearlbrian

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2009
i tried tonefx, but it keeps giving me an error saying "unable to locate iTunes" or something. Anyone know of a fix?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.