App for using Custom SMS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by openendstraight, Aug 5, 2010.

1. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

I have had an iPhone since the first version was released, but this is the first time I have jail broken one.

I hear about everyone using custom SMS tines, my question is, what app are you all using. I am not comfortable rooting my phone, so if that is my only option I guess I am out of luck.

Thanks

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Youre out of luck.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Why won't you reboot your phone? It's just turning it off and then back on. Takes <2 minutes

4. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

I think he is referring to ssh. He would rather gave a GUI app to do it.

Try ToneFx?

5. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Rooting poses more of a threat then jailbreaking. You can always restore back to vanilla.

6. openendstraight thread starter macrumors regular

openendstraight

Yeah, I don't fell comfortable rooting my phone, and messing around with those files. I know nothing about that stuff.

7. htownmade1984 macrumors regular

use bitesms... I love it, u can get a free trial from cydia

8. Evgenyy macrumors regular

I think there is a Cydia app called Anytone that will do that.

Otherwise, you can change it with Winterboard. Just search in Cydia for "sms tone".

9. wolfgang666 macrumors regular

just a quick query before i try it.. when a download a sms tone which works through winterboad, all i have to do is just activate it through wintetboard right?? i dnt hav to mess around anything about the SSH right??

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Without out Rooting your phone you can't add custom SMS tones since Apple doesn't allow user to access the Area that those ringtones are store at. It's your choice.

11. dave420 macrumors 65816

That is correct. Just activate it then go through your text message tones and see which ones changed. Some of them don't seem to work though. I do that and it works great. It gives lots of extra options for sms sounds.

12. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

Quick question. I jailbroke purely to get different SMS tones. Well I lucked out and found a metal gear solid codec tone. I had to install winterboard to run it. It could be just my mind but does winterboard affect your battery usage?

13. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Sorry, it was really late. My eyes misread. Op try tonefx.

14. dave420 macrumors 65816

I don't think so. I've had an iPhone 3GS with winterboard installed and it has been losing 10% battery per day with very minimal use. That seems pretty normal to me. (My iPhone 4 that I use regularly hardly ever makes it a full day without a charge in the middle)

15. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I haven't noticed any decrease in battery life after installing Winterboard.

16. geque75 macrumors regular

17. openendstraight thread starter macrumors regular

openendstraight

I got ToneFX, and it works just like I want. I can change all my allerts to different sounds, ei. text, in coming mail, locking and unlocking phone, sent mail, keyboard presses.

Thanks again all

18. pearlbrian macrumors member

i tried tonefx, but it keeps giving me an error saying "unable to locate iTunes" or something. Anyone know of a fix?