App for WhatsApp - Brings WhatsApp to your Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by betaphi, Dec 10, 2015.

1. betaphi macrumors member

betaphi

Hey everybody,

I'm the developer of App for WhatsApp, which is now available on the Mac App Store.

App for WhatsApp brings the WhatsApp Messenger to your Mac desktop with seamless integration by using native notifications, drag and drop to send media, full support for emojis and much more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For more info take a look at the App description on the Mac App Store.

Important:
    App for WhatsApp requires a WhatsApp Web compatible device.
    (If you are unsure please open WhatsApp on your mobile device, navigate to settings and check for a "WhatsApp Web" option).

Disclaimer:
    App for WhatsApp is a third party App. The developer of this software is not affiliated with WhatsApp Inc. in any way.

2. betaphi thread starter macrumors member

betaphi

Hello everybody,
    I'd like to announce that App for WhatsApp version 3.0.0 is available through the
    Mac App Store.

Version 3.0.0 is a big update, that brings lot of great new features that are only available with App for WhatsApp:

• Record videos up to 30s inside App for WhatsApp using your Mac's built in iSight camera and share with your friends via WhatsApp
    • Take a picture with your Mac's built in iSight camera from within the App and send it via WhatsApp
    • Add filters to the pictures taken with App for WhatsApp before sending to your friends
    • Play voice messages
    • Choose between more than 20 different notification sounds
    • Select a custom wallpaper for your chat window
    • Option to only use monochrome MenuBar icons
    • Drag and Drop images directly from Apple Photos App
    • Change your profile picture from within App for WhatsApp
    • Added support for full-screen and split-screen App window
    • Fixes a bug that could lead to the Emoji menu reacting sluggish
    • Fixes a bug that could lead to the App not launching after login
    • Fixes a bug that could lead to App for WhatsApp not asking for a password after a relaunch even though privacy mode was activated
    • Various other fixes and optimizations

You can also find more info about App for WhatsApp on our brand new webpage: appforwhatsapp.com

3. sartrekid macrumors 6502

Why 64-bit and no support for older Macs? I'd have loved to get this for my older computers, too. Oh well. Looks like a great app, though.

4. Rendergroup macrumors member

Rendergroup

What's the difference with the web side option?.

5. betaphi thread starter macrumors member

betaphi

@sartrekid: I'm sorry, but as App for WhatsApp uses some of the latest APIs that are only available on Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan it is not possible to run it on older Macs/versions of Mac OS X.

@Rendergroup: The big difference is, that App for WhatsApp provides better integration into the system, automatic launch at login, do not disturb mode, privacy mode, integration into the notification center, photo and video recording in the App and much more... All of this is not available when just using the web site.

6. dizzyluo macrumors newbie

dizzyluo

7. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Just a question to the developer here, what is the thought process here in building this App ? I mean I am trying to understand how will it be helpful? In the sense anybody using a Mac will have his or her Mobile phone beside him, if he wanted to send a WhatsApp msg he could do it using his cell phone, why the need for such an App then ?

8. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

I'm no developer, but I can say as a user (using iMessage equivalent) it is actually really useful. I love the speed and convenience of being able to reply so quickly. So much better than using the phone.
    i work on my Mac a lot and love the Mac client version for messaging.

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

10. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Yeah, so besides the ease of typing on a Mac Keyboard I don't see any big utility of this App, it is not something ground breaking or innovative that it offers !!

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Not every App is useful to everyone. Wait til you pass 40 and you will find messaging on a Mac screen sooo much easier than a phone, and as there is no native WA Mac App as there is with iMessage this app fills a noticeable void.

12. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Even if I pass 40 I will still have my phone besides me if I want to send a msg on whatsapp lol !

13. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Don't worry, your eyes will tell you its better, but hey, don't use it, ever. I'm sure your life will be perfect without it, you don't have to install apps just because others find them useful...

14. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

I'm not passed 40 and I too always have my phone right beside me.

What I like most is the absolute minimal interruption to my work flow. If I use my phone it breaks my concentration in a way that quickly responding on my mac does not. There is something in moving from Mac to phone that is move disruptive than it sounds.

I also like being able to share images and screenshots from my mac that would take a lot longer to organise through iOS.

It really is worthwhile having a Mac client.

15. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

I was wondering if there was a iPad App to send whatsapp messages from my iPad ?

16. Appels macrumors newbie

Appels

17. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

18. Appels macrumors newbie

Appels

Did you open Whatsapp on your iPhone, then head to Settings > WhatsApp Web and scan the QR code to pair the two devices together?

19. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Ok I am now using the web service of whatsapp on my windows PC so there I had to open this site web.whatsapp.com on the PC Browser. So in this case do I need to open this site on my phone is it ? or my PC scanning the QR Code would appear later when I go passed the first step, right now I don't even go any further.

20. Appels macrumors newbie

Appels

On your iPad: use the extension action in Safari Ask for Desktop site, then you will get the code that you can scan with your iPhone.

21. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

That's what I am saying Safari is not showing me that "Request for Desktop" option! When I type the web.whatsapp.com in safari on my iPad !

22. Appels, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016

Appels macrumors newbie

Appels

Yes, if it is not showing that you have to use the action extension

Attached Files:

23. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

I think I got it now, what you are saying !

24. Appels macrumors newbie

Appels

Great! (Swiftkey changed then into that :oops:)

There are loads of dedicated iPad apps like the one mentioned in the article if you want some extra features like notifications, which are not offered by the website.

25. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Can you name a few? I am looking for a dedicated App for iPad which also offers notification.