app for young children ( 2yrs)?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by kaelell, May 20, 2010.

1. kaelell macrumors 6502

My 2yr old son loves my Iphone, whether its the simple awesomeball ( a bouncing ball in physics based enviroment) or something education like Itot cards ( flash cards with animals/sounds/letters etc) and then various other flash card type apps, to fun apps like Elmo monster friends.
    These have all helped him develop his vocabularly very quicking and hes very comfortable with my phone, he can unlock it himself, open up a app by recognising the picture and so forth, its really sweet.

but what I was wondering if anyone has used similar decent apps for the Ipad they could recomend ?

thanks

2. MorganK macrumors regular

I'll be watching this. My 4yr old and 2yr old use my iPhone all the time. My iPad is out for delivery right now and I know they will be wanting to use that too! Mine love the puzzle ones like Tozzle.

3. tbob32 macrumors newbie

tbob32

Monkey Preschool Lunchbox, my grandkids love it and play whenever they can on both the iPad and iPhone. The same company also makes "When I Grow Up". But it is only available as an iPhone app so far.

Also for the iPhone but works good on the iPad for young kids are Preschool Adventure and ZooBox.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I know its been posted a million times, but why let such a young child play with such an expensive device?

5. tbob32 macrumors newbie

tbob32

Obviously it would depend on the child and your financial status. I trust my 5 year old grandson with either device (iphone/ipad) but only let my 4 year old grand daughter if I'm holding it and setting with her. Also if it gets broken I can afford to replace it. To me it's more important that they learn how to interact and treat technology than to protect it. Also the hardware is tougher than it seems with resonable care.

6. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I already made a thread about this here
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=901464

My daughter is almost 2 and is fine with my iPad, she carries it with both hands gently and holds it steadily with one arm when she's playing with it. Usually 'i hear ewe' or opening the video app and playing videos of herself.

Just because they're young doesn't mean they're stupid, if you don't teach them to take care with things then they won't.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't have any app recommendations for you but I would urge you to read up on dropping iPhones in toilets. It's only a matter of time until your little guy does it. ;)

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You know what else has been posted a million times? How it is really none of your business why a parent allows their child to play with their iPhone or other electronic device.

OP: iTunes (US store at least) has an Apps for Kids section. Have you checked that out? Apps for Kids

9. kaelell thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, I hadn't seen the apps for kids section before ! :)

@ kids/expensive ipad debate
    I guess it depends on your child and how well you've brought them up to look after things. I supervise when he is playing with anything expensive, he's not at the stage yet where I can trust him on his own as he can be a little heavy handed. But having him use the iphone has made such a big impact, with his dexterity, his speaking and recognising animals and objects its really been worth the risk, if I can make further use of that with the ipads big screen then great, nice to keep him entertained on trips.

10. Zacherena macrumors member

You can check out http://www.punflay.com/kids-educational-ipad.html. There are two great ipad apps for kids namely My Numbers (English) and Baby Explorer!

11. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I think the best apps are reality and the great outdoors. It costs absolutely nothing.

Other good apps are hide and seek, tag, hiking, colouring books, pencil and paper with an in app purchase of imagination, which funny enough costs $0.00.

Let your kids try it, they may like it. Though for the parents it may be too much of an inconvenience as it involves moving away from the TV or their beloved farmville on Facebook.

Leave computers out of their lives as long as possible. The gods know that once they're in school, they'll be ball and chained to them 24/7.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Let me guess - you have no kids.

I can always tell non-parent posts when it comes to stuff like this.

For a 2 year old, its tough to recommend any apps. I'd say a bubble popping game, or a match game.

13. alne macrumors newbie