app fro transcribing and translating old manuscripts?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jerwin, Jun 27, 2015.

1. jerwin macrumors 65816

Is there such a thing? I'm looking for software that allows me to create "side by side" translations-- one column for an image of manuscript, one column for a transcription, one or more column for a translation?

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Do you need the program to do the transcribing and translating, or do you just want to have a page with a 3-column layout, where you'll provide the image, transcription, and translation?

The first may be a hard thing to find as a single program - any decent OCR program can transcribe a scan of the original manuscript, and there is any number of programs (and web pages) that can translate the transcription. But one that does both the OCR and translating?

But if all you need is a program that allows you to create a 3-column document, just about any competent word processor can do that, including Pages from Apple (and of course, Microsoft Word). If you have more sophisticated needs, then there are page layout programs like Adobe InDesign (but if you're not already aware that this is possible, then your needs probably are not sophisticated enough to require an industrial-strength program like InDesign).

3. jerwin thread starter macrumors 65816

I have an OCR program. I have the translation skills, plus any number of machine translation programs.

What I don't have is a program that can keep image, transcription and translation organized together-- closer to a database than a page layout program.