App Icon Organization/Arrangement

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by barrikade, Mar 12, 2015.

1. barrikade macrumors member

So I'm here to ask how everyone does their app organization. I have a ton of apps and I can't seem to find a completely satisfactory way to group them.

Here is how I currently have it, here are the names of the folders.

First page: Shop, Info, Photo | Video, Social, Chat, Listen, Watch, Tools
    Second page: Financial, Utilities, Health, Productivity, Logins, Study, Trade, Read
    Third page: all games
    Fourth page: all games continued lol

There's gotta be a better way to consolidate and group using better categories. So how do you categorize them?

2. tomtattoo macrumors member

tomtattoo

First of all: installed "More Icons" to get 30 icons per page.
    And Infinidock for 5 icons in dock.

First page: most used apps without folders
    Second page - top half: the rest of the most used apps (no folders)
    Second page - bottom half: one folder with not used stock apps, the rest frequently used stock apps.
    Third page: 30 folders with all other apps.

Took years since my first iPod4G to get the "perfect" system for me.

So try and try again until it is perfect for you.

PS: Appcount today: 586
    PS2: perhaps take a look at "Moebius" to scroll through your pages infinetely in one direction. Great tweak!

3. barrikade thread starter macrumors member

Great stuff man! I think my app count is close to yours. And I'm still trying to perfect the system though.

----------

Thanks! Good stuff too. I searched before posting but there's wasn't anything current, like 2015 so I get the opinions of 6 and 6+ owners.

4. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I have stock apps on the main page so the phone looks almost like it does out of the box. The other apps are in folders on page 2 based on the category given to them on the app store. (Travel, Food, Utilities, Etc)

I don't leave the first page very often. I use Spotlight Search to find/open my apps so layout is really just about making them easier for sorting. Two pages, the main page and a second for apps is all that is needed. I flip to the second page from time-to-time and look through the folders to get rid of apps I'm no longer using. Not as exciting maybe but over the years this has been what its come to.

5. ssvsgod macrumors member

I keep my most used apps in the dock and in the first row, kinda wish the lock button doubled as a camera shortcut

Attached Files: