App icons opening other apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mk313, Mar 6, 2017.

1. mk313 macrumors 6502

Weird issue here that I'm hoping someone has experiences/resolved on their own. I did a search, but didn't come up with anything (it's possible I'm using the wrong search terms, but I'm coming up blank)

Recently my wife's iPhone has started to open other apps when she hits on the mail or safari icons. We've tried restarting, etc, but nothing seems to help. It's only the mail & safari icons that do this (they are both in the bottom layer of icons-the one that doesn't change when you change screens), and not any other icons. They always open the same apps every time as well, which is weird to me. The mail icon opens the IHG app & the safari app opens Pinterest.

Any ideas on what might be going on would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Does she have a film or glass screen protector installed?

It's sometimes referred to as "ghosting" or "ghost touches."

3. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

4. mk313 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick replies, no no screen protector but she does have an otter box case. I don't think that would be impacting it, but I'll double check now that you've mentioned it. I'll also do a search for ghosting to see what hat turns up.

No it's not jail broken either.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

What particular iPhone model is this (and iOS version)? Could those apps (or the ones they open) be moved around a bit, like switching their places or moving them to another screen, just to experiment to see if the same thing is happening or if it's simply something in that area of the screen basically.

6. mk313 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point! I'll move the apps around to see if it's that part of the screen or if it's the apps themselves.

As far as the phone, it's an iPhone 6 with the most recent version of iOS (I forget the version number but we always upgrade as soon the updates come out)

7. Smktree macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2017 ---
    I just downloaded the IHG app last week and have noticed this as well, it seems to always be in app swicther kind of the same way mail and phone are. Im on 7plus and i am jailbroken but I dont know why that would matter. I dont think its "ghost touch" as its deep in a folder i rarley go in. I think its the IHG app itself.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2017 ---

Edit: I think i figured it out.. i turned location services for IHG from "always on" to "while using app" and it isn't happening anymore for me, hope this helps!

8. mk313 thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I'll change the settings & see if that helps