App icons: Please stay in place after update!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MBX, Sep 6, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Ok what did apple think? Do we really want to re-arrange all of our icons after every updating of apps? Why can't they just stay where they are and be updated?

I really hope this changes with 2.1 cause it's really annoying.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I have to say, people complain about the big things (MMS, video recording) but it's these kind of little things that bother me the most.

After all, I can just ignore what I don't have, but stuff like these bothers me on a daily basis. Hopefully these kind of refinements will be coming next week.

3. TheBearman macrumors 6502

What makes this a bigger problem is the time and effort I spend setting the pages and application groupings in the first place.

I have heard that such management is possible with a jail broken phone, but I currently have no interest in doing that!

4. bmms8 macrumors 68020

hopefully this will be fixed with 2.1 people thought it would have been done by 2.02 but we were wrong. the best way to get past this is to update the app and then move it while it is updating. move it to the right of the original app.

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

This is one of my biggest annoyances with the iPhone right now.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

7. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

It would be nice if you could arrange them in iTunes. Then sync your phone and have them be in the right order.

8. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

It would be better if they just stayed in place in the first place!:(
    Was there a 2.0.2 Update for the iPod touch as well?

Ams.

9. Bambeezer macrumors regular

Don't they stay in same place if you sync the updates from itunes rather than download them to your device? I've never noticed them changing around when iTunes populates updates. Not a perfect solution, but it works for me.

10. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

it's a UI flaw

Kind of ruins the whole point of the app store though.

Apple actually has a UI "bug" of sorts there as the behaviour makes no sense and violates it's own UI guidelines in a way.

When you use the hardware button to turn the iPod/iPhone on and off, it defaults to the last of the various "desktops" or whatever you want to call them that was in use. This suggests that there is no "special" one.

The fact that all downloads go to the "home" screen, suggests that it is indeed "special."

It should really be all one way or the other. Either the home screen is "special" and pressing the hardware home button should always return you to that screen, or it isn't special, and the apps should "know" what screen they belong to and download updates to that location.

Highly illogical as Mr. Spock would say. ;)

The most sensible course would actually be for both to be changed. No one wants to be moving icons around all the time, but the hardware "home" button should still really take you to the same place all the time. That's the whole purpose of the button.

I am always a little surprised with each update, that Apple still hasn't seen this flaw in the logic of the UI.

11. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I couldn't agree more, especially since these ''cosmetic'' issues are so easily fixed.