App Icons Turning Gray

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gowanis, Jul 4, 2009.

1. gowanis macrumors 6502

I now have two icons that have turned gray. Both manifested following a reboot (top and bottom buttons until apple logo). I was able to repair once by deleting app, sync, re-check app in iTunes, sync. However, it disappeared again following a reboot.

Anyone with the same problem? Any ideas?

The apps affected are IM+ and Myst:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

3. davidmess macrumors newbie

An AppleCare iPhone rep told me to restore the software. So far it has worked

4. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

I did the same and it did restore the icon. However, the next time i rebooted the phone, the gray icon came back.

5. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, i tried deleting the app from the phone, then deleting the app from iTunes. I did a sync. Then I re-downloaded the app from iTunes and re-installed. Icon looks OK. Then I did a reboot and the icon is gray again. I also noticed that another app I just received an update for has also gone gray. I am under the impression that all new apps and all updated apps going forward will turn gray.

Seems like I need to do a full restore on my phone (which I really dont want to do, takes forever). Has anyone resolved this problem by doing a full restore? Have you verified that the problem does not re-appear after a full restore and subsequent reboot ?

6. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, if anyone cares:

not only was i getting gray app icons, i started to get wrong icons for various apps. i deleted all apps with gray or wrong icons. then i did a sync to reinstall. next i turned the phone OFF (not a reboot). Turned it back on. Then did a reboot. Seems ok for the moment.

7. moka macrumors 6502a

has anyone found out why this would be happening? i haven't experienced this (app icons getting switched) my self but is it a software issue? or corrupt ram / hardware issue

8. retiredtk macrumors newbie

ok, i found a fix!!! i know just restoring it or re-downloading the app fixes the issue temporarily, but when you do a hard reset it reverts back to the messed up icons (wrong app pics or grey app icon). this is a problem because i like to do a hard reset every night to clean out the ram and any other background processes that might be stealing juice from the battery.

so here's the fix, after you install the new app or do a icon change (new app pic) leave the phone on for 3 days straight. after that 3 days do a hard reset and your phone wont give you a problem with those apps anymore after hard resets. i saw this fix on some other forum and thought it was BS, so i tried it and it worked!!! hope it works for you guys too!!!

it might work for shorter periods of time. i.e. 1 day, 2 days, 12 hours, whatever. i'm going to try different ways and get back to you guys. one thing i did notice was if i left the phone on for 3 days straight the battery would not charge all the way. it would show 100% when i pulled the charger, but after a couple minutes it was down to 98%... sigh.... another problem. this one can be fixed by just doing a hard reset.

3.1 needs to be here now!!!

9. retiredtk macrumors newbie

this is not a hardware issue seeing as it has happened on 3 different iphones of mine. 2 3gs's and 1 3g.

this is a 3.0 issue.

10. Tree19 macrumors newbie

I might have figured out the grayed out apps....

These might be place holders for many other apps that have not come over to your phone yet. After upgrading to the 5s, my apps came over but not in their folders, so I had to one by one place them. After thinking I was done, and not able to get rid of the gray apps, I restarted. Once my phone came back up, I thought oh crap, my apps are all out of their folders again, but its the balance of my apps that didnt show up at first. Now the gray apps are gone and my final screen is not full all the way to final icon place holder. So I think all my apps are finally on my phone, and the grayed out apps are gone. Either I found out what they were, or a mere coincidence!! Either way the grays are gone, so woo hoo!