App Ideas

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Blakeasd, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

Hello!
    I have been programming in Objective-C and Cocoa for about 1.5 years now and I have been making simple demo projects for fun. The stuff I made was cool, but not useful. Does anyone have any ideas for a cool useful app that someone with 1.5 years of programming experience could make?
    Thanks!

2. blueillusion macrumors member

You're well into doing whatever you want then!

What I can suggest is, take a (relatively simple) application you use on a daily basis and make your own version of it.

I've only been programming with Cocoa for about 3 months now (I have previous experience with the Qt framework), and I am now writing an IRC client for the mac.

I don't get bored writing it because I know it will be useful (especially to me).
    I shelved a lot of my past projects due to the fact that I couldn't figure how useful it will be.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Think You

Should put them out there....What might not seem useful to you might well prove invaluable to someone else...Never underestimate your work:)

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I always make stupid stuff that is useful to me and build on them. For example I'm making a shortcut app for the programs I use the most (Maya, Photoshop, ZBrush, Corel Painter, Unity 3D, After Effects, Illustrator, Aperture, Xcode, and a slew of others.) Useless? Sure! Good learning experience and useful for me? Absolutely! (I got sick of looking up shortcuts only to find many are outdated!)

I always look at Apps I wish existed and make them. I always try and aim for something above my skill level since I can always make it, it just takes more hard work. (Although admittedly the shortcut app is way below my skill level ;) )

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

What about taking an open source project and building on it? I love a Bean with Applescript.

mt