app like Google Voice but does not require phone verification

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Androidfan1x, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Androidfan1x macrumors regular

i don't have a phone, and i don't need one (i rarely call anyone), that's why i bought an ipod touch, but sometimes i need to call someone, and i can't.

i found out google voice is free in the US and canada, but when set up i need to give them a phone number to verify my google voice account. so i could not create a google voice account

then i found textfree from the appstore, it does not require phone number to verify account, but it's not free, you have to pay dollars to get minutes.

so is there any app that allows me to make FREE call like Google Voice and NOT require phone number to verify account like Textfree? (i only need free call in the US, but of course it would be better if i can also call international for free)

2. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

Buy a $10 cheapo phone. $20 of minutes. Set up Google Voice, and then let the cheapo phone simply expire...do not buy more minutes.

I did this exact thing about 2 years ago...my Google Voice & TalkaTone apps working together just fine all this time.

Free VIOP phoning for over 2 years now...

3. Androidfan1x thread starter macrumors regular

it's not unlimited though, it only allows you call 50 minutes a month, then you'll have to either wait until next month for that 50 minutes to reset or spend money and buy credit.
    but thanks very much, because i think i don't call more than 50 minutes a month anyway lol.
    i'll consider this option when i need to call more than 50 minutes a month. thanks