App load time difference between gens?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Riftoff, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Riftoff macrumors newbie

Sorry if this has been asked and is completely obvious, but is there a marginally large difference in load times in general between the two gens? I'm assuming the 2G has a better processor, and thus better load times, but by how much?

Also, as a quick side question, can you get the generic Mail/Maps/Youtube apps for the first gen through an update?

2. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The 2G iPod touch has a faster CPU than the 1G: 532 MHz for the 2G vs 412 MHz for the 1G. (In fact, I think it's exactly the same CPU silicon, but the speed is throttled down via software in the older iPod touch.)

That will make computationally intensive programs run faster. Never having used an iPod touch 2G, I cannot say for sure, but suspect that the actual App load time is probably not siginificantly different. I assume this because, in all likelihood, the largest single bottleneck in determining the load time of an App is probably not the CPU, but rather the NAND-to-SDRAM transfer speed.

IIRC, the YouTube app was always available on the 1G iPod touch right from the product's launch. On the other hand, there was a $20 software upgrade released alongside (but not as a mandatory part of) firmware version 1.1.3, that brought the Mail, Maps, Stocks, Notes, and Weather Apps.

That upgrade was phased out, and replaced by a $10 software upgrade to firmware version 2.x, which added the App store, as well as including all the features previously introduced to the 1.x firmware series, regardless of whether or not you had bought the $20 software upgrade.