App location in file system?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Knowlege Bomb, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm trying to find the App Store apps on my phone via SSH and have had no luck. Anybody know where I can find them?

2. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

/private/var/mobile/Applications

They aren't listed by name, rather, by random combinations of letters/numbers...you'll have to open each folder individually to find the app you're looking for.

3. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Thanks.

I can't seem to find the .ipa files in any of those folders. Any chance you'd know where those are as well?

4. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

AppStore apps are not downloaded and stored as .ipa's on the iPhone, they are just installed automatically. The .ipa's are kept on your computer by iTunes, but the location escapes me at the moment (plus they are different locations in Mac and Windows computers).

5. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Well that's the problem. I have some of the .ipa's in my library but am missing a bunch. They're on my phone, but not in my iTunes.

6. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

Re-download those missing Apps from within the iTunes AppStore, you won't be charged again.

7. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I've already tried that. They're not showing up.

8. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

Don't know what else to suggest...I just tried it by deleting an app i had in iTunes, re-downloading it, and when it showed up on iTunes under my apps, I right-clicked the icon, chose the "show in Windows Explorer" option, and it showed me where the IPA was located on my computer.