App Manager

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FunkyLarge, Nov 26, 2011.

1. FunkyLarge macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I just purchased a Macbook Pro yesterday. I really like it so far, but there's one thing. The battery level seems to be decreasing very fast. I have installed Adobe CS5 and Microsoft Office 2011 on it. Normally on windows, those two suites comes with many resource hogging processes. And I would use an application to change the unnecessary processes from auto-start to manual and disable them from the running. Are there any good applications that allow me to do that, or at least let me monitor what's running in the background. And again, I'm very new to Mac OS X. I'm not even sure what's causing the excessive battery drain. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check to see if Spotlight is indexing by looking at the Menu Bar icon: [​IMG] (not indexing) [​IMG] (indexing)

Battery life is dependent on many factors. See BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE in the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

For performance-related battery drain issues, there are a few things you can check:
    • Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
    • Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
    • Look at what widgets you may have running.
    • Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
    • Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive "page outs", a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
    • Make sure you're not running any 3rd party antivirus app, as many of those will drain resources, reducing performance. They're not needed to protect your Mac.

3. FunkyLarge, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

FunkyLarge thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply GGJstudios. You helped me solved one of the masteries of why so many applications are popping up when i login. And also, would you please tell me how can I browse to /Library/LaunchAgents/. I can't seem to find a way to get to the root directory.

And for the widgets, I have about 7 widgets open. Do widgets use a lot of resources?
    I have one more question. Haha. What's the keyboard shortcut for deleting one word?? I tried "Command + delete", and it deletes the whole line :(

4. GGJstudios, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In Finder, click Go > Go to folder > /Library
    Some do and some don't. It depends on which ones.
    It depends on which app you're in. I usually just double-click a word, then press the delete key.

Apple Keyboard Shortcuts

Helpful Information for Any Mac User