App Nap For Mail

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by R3k, Jan 14, 2014.

1. R3k macrumors 6502a

Hi Guys.

Is anyone aware of a way to disable App Nap for Mail only so that it doesn’t automatically check and pull down email off the server?
    Setting Mail preferences to only check manually doesn’t change this behavior. Get Info doesn’t provide the disable option either.

I ask as my GF uses POP, and would like to have email appear 1st on her iPhone while she's out an about rather than downloaded automatically to her laptop (and removed from the server immediately) However, we would like the keep the App Nap feature enabled in general for backing up to Time Machine.

Any ideas most welcome.

Thanks!

2. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

Try just unchecking this box.

Attached Files:

3. R3k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

However this doesn't fix it like it should. 1st thing I tried. Perhaps this is a problem with her machine alone?

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If she's using POP, the config screen will look a little different - like the attached. Either uncheck "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message", or leave that checked & change the drop down below it to "After one day" (to give her phone time to get the message too).

Attached Files:

5. R3k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I guess It'll have to be this- leave on server for one day option.

Can anyone confirm if 'include when automatically checking" works as intended on a POP account when unchecked and the Mac goes into App Nap mode?

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Why does anyone still use POP anyway? It's outdated and lacks many modern features.

Everyone should be using IMAP these days.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Lots of ISPs still only support POP.

8. R3k, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

R3k thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can't see the benefit to IMAP except for cross device synchronization and short term backup purposes...For me. But perhaps I am not understanding things right.

POP:
    -Automatic localized storage without having to specifically archive anything or even think about it.
    -Doesn't require an online connection, though I understand IMAP is workable, it's easier with POP if Im offline for large amounts of time, say not internet for 2 weeks while traveling a 'developing' nation.
    -Faster.
    -Privacy, things not stored on the server for long periods of time.

Again, correct me if Im wrong, Id love to have an Excuse to go to IMAP.

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Your use case may be different than mine.

POP quickly becomes a mess if you check your mail from a bunch of different devices. It has no concept of showing the state of the remote mail folder, only the idea of downloading messages and marking them downloaded or not.

With IMAP, I see exactly the same mailbox on my iPhone, both Macs and webmail. If I delete a message on one device, it disappears on all of them. I don't have to worry if I downloaded my E-mail to my Mac and thus can't get to the message on my phone.

You can also organize your mail into folders and access them easily from all devices.

I do think it's a matter of use-case; if you only have one device, or a small mail quota on the server, or an ISP that only supports POP (really? What is this 1994?), using POP would make sense. But in my eyes it's equivalent to gopher: Obsolete. IMAP can do everything POP can do and much more.

10. R3k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool, yeah it def seems like a necessity for anyone that has over 2 devices.