App: Native Facebook Notifications [BETA]

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jackpf, Dec 29, 2014.

1. jackpf, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014

jackpf macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've been working on something I think is pretty cool, and I wouldn't mind getting a few people to test it out. It's essentially desktop facebook notifications, so if you don't want to keep facebook open all day, or you're looking at other windows, you can still see your notifications. It turns black when you've got pending notifications, and also plays a sound. It links straight to whatever the notification is.

It features a bit of a hacky OAauth where you have to copy and paste the authorisation code into the app but I've not found a better way of doing it yet.

I'd love to hear any feedback or suggestions.
    The full source code is here as well: https://github.com/jackpf/FacebookNotifications

Attached are some screenshots and the zipped up app.
    Currently only tested on a Macbook Pro retina on Yosemite.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Exited with code: 255 · Issue #2 · jackpf/FacebookNotifications

Exited with code: 255 · Issue #2 · jackpf/FacebookNotifications

Output from dtruss attached.

----

Off-topic from the issue: attached here, because at GitHub, I can't attach
    .txt
    .tar.gz
    .zip

> Unfortunately, we don't support that file type. Try again with a PNG, GIF, or JPG.

Was it never possible to attach text files to issues?

Attached Files:

3. jackpf, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014

jackpf thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, that exception at the bottom looks like it can't listen on port 8080.

Could you open up a console and type this in to see if any other process is trying to listen on that port?

Code:
    lsof -i -n -P | grep 8080
    Basically it starts it's own local http server on port 8080 to receive Facebook's OAuth access token, but it will fail to start if it can't do so. I've just uploaded a new version to the OP that should display error messages instead of just crashing.

Thanks for the logs!

4. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Fyi

OK, I replied in the issue on GitHub.

Can't build at the moment – I don't have Homebrew, but I will do some time soon.

Side note, FYI (you're probably aware of this already): https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/menutab-for-facebook/id421358730?mt=12 – it's installed here, but I never use it. It's wrong to have a toolbar at the foot of an app, and so on ;)

5. jackpf thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh I wasn't aware of that app actually, although it's paid/got ads. Open source is the way forward!