App no longer available in iTunes after purchase??

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Crunch, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Crunch macrumors 6502

Crunch

Alright, so my girl was incessantly playing this game called Critter Crunch, but when I updated everything to iOS 5.1.1 when the most recent jailbreak was released, I couldn't remember the password to my iTunes-based encrypted backup. (I know, I know --> Fail! :roll eyes: )

At any rate, what happens in this scenario? I bought the app for her a while back and now she no longer has access to it. It's not in the AppStore anymore and a quick search revealed, that apparently, the developer had stopped updating it. I tried restoring it via iTunes after I found the .ipa file in one of my older iTunes folders, but it didn't take. Since my iOS devices are all jailbroken, there is probably a way to restore/install apps when iTunes refuses to cooperate. However, I'd prefer to get the app back the regular way, as I paid for it.

So what happens in these scenarios? Do I ask Apple for a refund? Do I contact the developer? I don't really want a refund. What I want (need?) to happen is for my GF to get her "favorite game in the whole world" back on our iDevices.

Thanks everyone.

2. Holosynthetic macrumors newbie

Holosynthetic

Just out of curiosity, when you go into the App Store and look in the "Purchased" section under the "Updates" tab, can you find it?

I know it's sometimes possible to download old apps you've purchased but are no longer on the App Store when you use this method.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If the app developer just doesn't update the app and lets their developer account expire, apps can still be found under the Purchased section. However, if a developer has their app pulled by Apple themselves, it'll be pulled from that section too.

Sadly, Apple recently pulled a bunch of apps over advertising schemes that fraudulently enabled developers to get their apps to the top. It could have been by a publisher that was dropped because of that.

4. Holosynthetic macrumors newbie

Holosynthetic

I learned something new, thanks.

5. shabbado macrumors member

shabbado

If the developer or apple pulled the game from the app store, then you won't be able to download it, as it is gone :(

Your best bet is to find a cracked version of the game, if your device is jailbroken. Also, you could try contacting the dev, and if they pulled it, maybe they will put it back on the store for you.

6. Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

Crunch

Thank you everyone. I'm actually a bit late with my response and I apologize.

Yes, I did check the (very) long list of apps in my Purchased list and even though I was able to re-download the nearly 2-year old "iPhone 4 Case Program" app (remember that? lol), sure enough, it's not there and it makes sense that it's not there because according to the developer, their app was pulled!

The developer in this case pointed the finger at Apple and claims that Apple pulled the game because of an arbitrary change in policy. They didn't elaborate, but I'd sure be interested why a fairly simple (but fun) game would get the ax. Perhaps it was because they had to sign all kinds of non-disclosure agreements. Maybe they're afraid of Apple coming by and swooping up their children, if they did so much as have a dream that involved violating one of their policies.

As for getting the game back on by way of jailbreak, that's what I'll need to do. I already have all my iDevices jailbroken on 5.1.1 and I also have the IPA file for the aforementioned game. What do I have to do to get my (relatively expensive) game back on my girl's iPod and iPad? I remember there was something called AppSync. I don't even have that source installed anymore, as there are fewer and fewer reasons to jailbreak. Any ideas?

7. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

If you have the IPA, it is weird that iTunes won't sync it. Does it shows an error message?
    I assume it is already in your iTunes library, so...

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Don't forget discussion of piracy for any reason is not allowed on Macrumors.

Does the app show up in your iTunes library on the computer? What happens if you select the iPod in iTunes, go the the Applications tab for the iPod, check the app, and click sync. This will sync the app back over.