App no longer in iTunes Store. Can I still install somehow?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ukalady, Aug 25, 2008.

1. ukalady macrumors newbie

An app, 3-Tuple, was released Aug. 3 in the iTunes Store. It has since "disappeared." I didn't install it on my Touch but my son has it on his iPhone. Is there some way to still install it on my Touch? Note: My iPod Touch is *not* jailbroken.

I have the following folder from my son: iTunesArtwork, iTunesMetadata.plist, pastedGraphic.tiff and an embedded folder, Payload, which contains 3-Tuple (the icon has a "bar" across it).

Am I in luck? If so, how do I install?

2. ccfoodog macrumors member

Are you using the same iTunes account for these devices? If so, you should probably be able to do it. If not, my guess is the copy protection will not allow you to.

This is easiest if you have both devices using the same iTunes (on the same computer). If so, he can just plug in his device and select 'file > transfer purchases from ipod' from the menu. Then it would be on iTunes and you could sync it onto yours.

If you are using the same iTunes account, but different computers, you probably still can. If you go into 'applications' under iTunes on his computer and select 'properties' about the application in question (under Windows you right-click on the icon), it should have an option to the file location in the host computers file browser (under Windows 'show in Windows explorer'). Do so and find the file related to the application (they have an .ipa extension).

Do the same thing on your computer so you know where it keeps those files on your computer.

Then put the file into that folder on your computer. Then import that file folder ('file > add folder to library'). The application should now show up in the applications section on your iTunes.

-john

3. ukalady thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I now have the program on my iPod Touch.