App on my dock keeps removing itself?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maware, Dec 4, 2010.

1. maware, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010

maware macrumors newbie

Hello

On my MacBook Pro (Late 2007, Discrete, Snow Leopard), Adobe Photoshop CS5 keeps removing itself from my dock for no reason. I'll drag the app to my dock and within about 5 seconds, the app simply disappears from the dock. I have tried dragging it back multiple times, restarting my computer, etc, but it always disappears within about 5 seconds and I have no idea why.

When I tried syncing my dock with my iMac (mid 2009, Aluminum, Snow Leopard), it did the same thing. I have since stopped syncing the dock and Photoshop CS5 stays put on my iMac.

But still removes itself on my MBP. Any help to make this stop???

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

If you use MobileMe, this thread may be of some interest.

Also try the basic stuff like moving com.apple.dock.plist to a different place and restarting the dock (killall Dock in the terminal will do this nicely).

3. maware thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. How do I go about moving com.apple.dock.plist to a different place? I can be a bit of a noob sometimes :(

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Find it in HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences

Highlight it and drag it out of there onto the Desktop

Rather than mess with Terminal, since you're a self-described "noob", just restart the computer. This will make a new default plist file in Preferences.

Now see if the Dock behaves, and let us know.

5. maware thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but no go. It did restart my dock, but Photoshop just ain't having it...did the same thing as it has been doing. :(

6. LPZ macrumors 65816

If you start Photoshop does its icon appear in the Dock? If so, what happens if you control-click that icon and then choose Options-->Keep In Dock? Does the icon disappear after you quit Photoshop?

7. maware thread starter macrumors newbie

When I open photoshop, it does stay in the dock for the time it is open. I have clicked 'keep in dock' but 5 seconds after I quit the program, it's gone.

8. LPZ macrumors 65816

OK. What happens if you try to add some other new app to your dock? Is it only Photoshop that behaves in this odd manner?

9. maware thread starter macrumors newbie

Correct, Photoshop is the only thing that won't stay. I can add any other program to the dock just fine, such as InDesign and Illustrator, but Photoshop just isn't having it...

10. LPZ macrumors 65816

As mac2x asked, do you use MobileMe? If so, you may wish to see this.