App preventing sleep - how do I change it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by motulist, Jul 29, 2019.

1. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

There's an app that prevents my Mac from going to sleep. How do I set it to NOT prevent my Mac from sleeping?

When I open activity monitor > energy tab, it shows that the app After Effects is "yes" in the "preventing sleep" column. I want to change that. What terminal command can I use to override that? I'd guess it would be a pmset command, but which one?

Quiting the app everytime I need to put my laptop to sleep isn't an option because After Effects takes a longgg time to launch, and I need to sleep my Mac frequently.

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

If After Effects prevents sleep, then you override that through the system, would THAT (allowing sleep) then cause problems with After Effects?
    I guess the question that I am asking is really this: Does sleeping your Mac force After Effects to quit, too?
    Which then would mean that you have to re-launch After Effects after waking your Mac, anyway.

(Just curious - How long (really) is "a longgg time to launch" 30 seconds? 2 minutes? 20 minutes?)

Another way of looking at this: If you are running an app that prevents sleep (and it is important to you that the app continues to run), then do you really "need to sleep my Mac frequently?"

3. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

I doubt that sleeping and waking a Mac would cause a problem, it's by-design supposed to be in the exact same state after it wakes as it was in before it slept.

And Adobe and is notorious for making resource-hog apps.

The main reason why I need it to sleep isn't because of needing to frequently sleep the laptop, but because when the laptop is low on battery then the laptop will die altogether even when the lid is closed. And *that* causes major problems.

4. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

Actually I just realized that I know for a fact that it would be fine if it went to sleep and woke up, because when the battery gets really low the laptop *does* go to sleep automatically, and if I connect it to power within the next couple of hours it'll wake up normally and the app is still fine after.