Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Is this right?

Apparently on 22nd December the new monopoly from E.A. on the iPad was cut in price by 50% on the US store. But it's still full price on the UK store.
:mad:

Are they allowed to do that?

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
I noticed this yesterday. :mad:

On the US store Monopoly and Fifa 11 are both half price right now and full price in the UK.

Annoyingly, AppShopper must base its notifications on the US store, as I was notified that Monopoly was reduced even though I have the app set to the UK store!

However, it works both ways. A few months ago Madden 11 was 59p in the UK and full price in the US.

Most likely this is due to the popularity of apps in different regions.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Thanks for replies so far.

Well, there no way on earth I'm buying Monopoly now till we get the same price in the UK as the US even if I have to wait forever! :mad:

There no reason for this kind of thing to be going on, not in nearly 2011 when software is around the world in a split second.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I really fail to see the "problem". They are different stores serving different economies. They could be making money a lot more in the US store that they can afford to pull the price down as opposed to the UK one. Just cause an item is on sale on amazon.com doesn't mean it "should" be on sale in amazon.de.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I really fail to see the "problem". They are different stores serving different economies. They could be making money a lot more in the US store that they can afford to pull the price down as opposed to the UK one. Just cause an item is on sale on amazon.com doesn't mean it "should" be on sale in amazon.de.

I do personally feel there is a significant difference between electronic data and physical goods.

One, if it's multi-language is the same items that's on servers and is distributed via servers with an almost zero duplication fee.

The other has to be manufactured, perhaps in different languages and shipped to different parts of the globe.

Of course, having apps that show you these price differences is not good.

If nothing else, it's bad public relations to do such a thing.
Esp as all others app deals I've seen have been across the board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.