App problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macsaurus, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Macsaurus macrumors newbie

I have 10.6.7. installed. I have not been tinkering with the system for a few months now, and the most I did was change icons, do some basic terminal commands, and change the dock.

The problems started yesterday. I tried opening Mactracker from the App Store (I had used the latest update before) and it crashed immediately. I then tried opening Chrome and it crashed immediately too. I then deleted them, deleted their preferences and application support folders from ~/Library/ and re-download them, but they still crashed. I tried opening the Unix file from Chrome/Contents/Mac OS and it crashed too.

Today I noticed that flash stopped working for well (in Firefox it just disappears, Safari it says "Plug-in Failure", and Opera crashes if there is even 1 piece of flash content on the page). I un-installed Flash from the app from the Adobe website, repaired disk permissions, and re-installed Flash. Still won't work.

Firefox (Beta), Safari, Opera, System Preferences, Store News, App Store, Photoshop CS4, TextEdit, (Firefox) Nightly, Preview, and the Runescape Game Client are the apps I can remember opening since the problem started, and all of those have no problems.

I have not restarted (I have a fear of restarting laptops with hard drives), but will do so if you think it will work.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Restarting is a basic first step in troubleshooting. Why would you fear it?

3. Macsaurus thread starter macrumors newbie

My Macbooks hard drive has crashed 3 times. All 3 times it's been fine until it restarted. Until I get a solid state drive, I'll remain paranoid of restarting.

I'll do it now though. Will report back.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you have drive failure, it will be a problem whether you restart or not. If your drive isn't failing, restarting will not cause it to fail.

5. Macsaurus thread starter macrumors newbie

But I can still use it for a while before I get total loss of the hard drive if I don't restart.

I restarted, and Flash/Chrome is working again. Re-downloaded Mactracker and it's working too.

Here's the last crash report from Chrome (uploaded). Just want to know what caused it, as I don't want it to happen again.

Attached Files: