App Proposal(?): Save Battery by Managing Tasks by Tracking Data Signal Strength

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rhyzome, Jul 1, 2015.

1. rhyzome macrumors regular

I've noticed lately that most of my battery drainage comes from apps working hard to do things when the data signal is weak (and the phone is thus strained to achieve the given task).

Despite the fact that I often initiated the given task, upon finding my battery drained well before I planned I often wish that I had waited until I was in a better area to complete the same task with a much lower energy footprint.

Is there an app that, when you initiate a data-dependent task, alerts you whenever you are doing so in an area where the data signal strength falls below a certain threshold?

The app could pause the said task, give you a pop-up dialog asking to wait until later to finish the task or continue anyway.

Is there such an app, utility or plugin? If this app doesn't exist the MR community should make one!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

At best it might be a jailbreak tweak of some sort as stock iOS wouldn't provide any third party app the ability to run in the background like that and have access the things that were mentioned.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

My 6+ get such great battery use that I have not worried a bit from the time I got it.

4. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

jailbreak wouldn't need be done.
    even now you tap in a specific sequence it gives you the dB reading.

in phone dial *3001#12345#* then press call to get it.
    the signal bars will now display the signal in a dB reading.
    -51 is full signal, -105 is no signal