App questions for lion osx?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maxout5, Aug 31, 2011.

1. maxout5 macrumors newbie

So im gna get lion and their gonna install it for me in the store so i wannna ask do the apps stay working and microsoft office and stuff or do i need to update them for lion and im kinda SO worried about them so umm can u tell me wat will happen with apps and Microsoft office and stuff?? cuz their currently working on snow leopard so when i update to lion the software is gna update not the apps so umm ANY IDEAS DERE?:apple::apple::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Text speak isn't translated by computer spell check. Please realize this before posting in the future.

90% of apps work alright. The new version of Office is fine. Couple quirks but they'll be fixed by a software update eventually. Older products can have problems because of the lack of Rosetta support, but most of the recent applications will work alright.

3. maxout5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok look sorry for the text speak thing im not A MAC PRO i guess but what do u mean by the NEW version of office do i need to BUY a new office cd? or will it just be a simple update?

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Text speak is always bad form for a forum, and is actually among the (minor) rules of the forum. Mostly, it just makes it difficult for people to understand you, making it far less likely that you'll get helpful responses.

When blevins321 mentioned the new version of Office, he was referring to Office 2011. You can purchase it as a boxed copy at any store that sells Mac Software, or download a trial at Microsoft.com/Mac. Office 2008 can also work, although I believe that there was an issue in that the installer required Rosetta, which is no longer supplied with Lion, so it worked only if you installed it before updating to Lion. I don't know for sure if a workaround has been found for that or if I'm remembering the issue correctly.

jW

5. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I remember reading about a workaround somewhere, so if you need this version of office, you should be able to find the workaround with a simple google search.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

To be clear, you may purchase and download the release version of Office 2011 from Microsoft's website. As far as that goes, virtually all major and minor software titles can be purchased and downloaded from either the developer's website or the Mac App Store. Shrinkwrap is so 2001.

To the OP, two things:
    • I strongly support the advice given by others to write complete sentences in clear language. Your earlier posts are difficult to wade through.
    • Software, whether from Microsoft or from any other developer, does not spoil. It can be obsoleted by new operating systems or the needs of the user. It may be buggy, but bugs are unrelated to age. In the case of Office 2011, it is practically brand new. I understand that Microsoft will release updates to allow Office to take advantage of Lion features. However, Office 2011 works under Lion as well as expected without the update.

7. maxout5 thread starter macrumors newbie

UMM ya so i have the 2011 version i just got my white macbook like 3 months ago so i needed it for school and stuff so i bought it and it says 2011 on the box and when i do the about word it says 2011 so its ok :D

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you are trying to be funny, then you failed. The takeaway message is that Office 2011 works under Lion and works well. It can be expected to work well for years to come.