App Quiting Cause for Disk Repair?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wie Gehts, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

Hey folks. I have something that I'm curious about.

I'm noticing that when one of my applications takes a dive...quits unexpectedly (so far something like Firefox or Mpeg Streamclip) that if I run the disk utility it'll tell me my disk needs repair.

But when I use the install disk to repair it'll tell me nothing is wrong..the disk is OK. Then I retstart and use my hd's disk utility and it'll still say it needs repair.
    So I go back to the instal disk and just go straight to 'repair disk'.

Usually this'll do it. Or sometimes I'll use Onyx to go through the routines and that'll do it. You know, at the beginning the disk utility will give you one of those " disk needs repair. can't be repaired because error not found' things.

Its usually some tree, string branch or whatever is "0" and should be "1" kinda thing (as you can tell, I'm no computer expert)

Or something to that effect...Does anybody know whats going on here? Does an application shutting down due to some conflict enough to make the hd to need repairing?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Normally, no - application quits do NOT cause the disk to need repairs. However, if the quit occurs while the application is writing to the disk, this CAN cause file system corruption. Perhaps this is what is happening.

3. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, thats possible. Yesterday I had firefox quit on me while I was watching (streaming) a south park episode and sometimes the Mpegstreamclip app would crap on me while I would be converting a movie file.
    I think I had Logic quit on me once or twice without ill effect....

That could be the deal then, while the app is writing to disk and it crashes.