app refreshing itself upon opening!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by volcom883, Oct 28, 2013.

1. volcom883, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

volcom883 macrumors regular

volcom883

most of the time if you open an app and you get "an image of the screen of what you were doing last" for half of a second before it refreshes itself and changes slightly!
    you guys know what i mean right?
    i thought this was a 4s thing but i tried on the 5 and the result was similar... what is this? come on apple

test it yourself: open contacts, scroll down, while scrolling down quickly hit the home button and relaunch the app!

2. humar macrumors 6502

humar

3. kot macrumors regular

That's why they made background app refresh (which I turned off anyway because it drained my battery)

4. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

"background app refresh" is something else and also its only available for certain apps by the way.
    whereas this issue seems to be happening on all the apps! very very annoying

5. neotope macrumors regular

If you give Apple feedback about this, perhaps they will change in a future update.

https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/

6. cynics macrumors G3

This is due to RAM or lack there of.

The 4/4S is particularly bad. For example I can jump out of tapatalk right now and open something like the note app, or even safari as long as I don't do too much in it. But if I take a picture with the camera app or watch a video on YouTube and come back to tapatalk it reloads. Very annoying.

The iPhone 5+ with a gig of RAM is light years better but still not completely without the issue.

Regardless it's just apps getting pushed out of their suspended state to make room for foreground apps.

I'm hoping the iPhone 6 has more RAM to fix this. There is no other good work around aside from caching apps and using storage space which I'd rather not see.

7. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

i tried the iphone 5 and apps do reload as well. does the iphone 5 lack of ram too? i dont get it... my 4s had no problems with ios6 for example.

8. GreyOS macrumors 68030

I don't think what you're describing in your example is the Contacts app being taken out of RAM and having to reload. When you come out of an app a picture of the app's current view is taken and is used for the multitasking view, and also for the app opening animation.

If you go to your Contacts app, don't scroll, then press home button, then double tap for multitasking, that's a frozen shot of your Contacts app. Open it from there, and the image eventually gets replaced by the actual app. The two images should exactly the same, because in this short time it's very unlikely the Contacts app will have been taken out of memory.

What you describe with your scrolling example is simply the picture being taken not at the exact moment the app was suspended - it must be a few moments before. So when you open the app again and there's a slight movement, that's just the difference between the picture and the actual last view of the app, after it finished a little bit more scrolling. This could be improved by Apple I guess, so the snapshot is taken at the correct time.

When the Contacts app IS taken out of memory, it will be very obvious and more annoying, it won't change "slightly" as you describe, but a lot. The app will go back to the top of the list whilst your last screen shot will be in the middle or wherever.

I'm no expert but I think it's the developers of Contacts who've chosen to not save the scroll position when the app is taken out of memory. But they may not wish to in order to ensure users aren't stuck in faulty states even when they try quitting the app.

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I think you are right: what he is seeing isn't a memory leak, but a multitasking snapshot of the app