App request: battery drainer

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by stofferdk, Aug 18, 2008.

1. stofferdk macrumors regular

hi there,

I wondered if someone could make an app with one simple
    purpose: to drain battery. In that way my iphone can be charged freshly everytime I cradle it.

2. severe macrumors 6502a

Battery life is dependent on a certain amount of cycles. Why would you want this? It's not quite worth doing more than every month or so.

3. stevin macrumors regular

I actually like the idea of that app, but I think depending on who you ask a lot of people believe that putting the battery through a complete cycle each time is actually unhealthy for it?

Even if thats the case that app would definitely be sweet

4. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

It'd pretty much be Enigmo only with ten times the amount of particles.

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

This would be a pretty cool app.
    But I'm with the people who say it's unhealthy for the battery.

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It would help for when you want to do a complete cycling of the battery, but you shouldn't do that every charge time. I think that draining the battery each time would not be a good thing for the health of the battery. I only charge my iPod touch whenever the battery falls below 20%.

7. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

Thnak you for your quick replies.

You might be right about the concerns with draining the battery before each charge - HOWEVER,

I do for a fact know, that Apple Denmark recommends all MacBook owners to drain the battery completely in the boot sequence before entering OSX once a WEEK.

Totally different batteries I guess, but I would drain my iPhone too once a week for a fresh charge if I had an app able to drain the battery completely somehow.

8. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Ya, but that's a Macbook.
    This is an iPhone.
    I doubt that they have different batteries in Denmark than in other countries.
    That would be like giving an iPod a different battery. XD

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I think it's recommended to do a complete drain once a month with the iPhone. An app like this would be nice.

However, I'd REALLY like to see a Battery Monitor app--something that gives accurate info on charge status, number of cycles, etc.

10. outz macrumors 6502

doesn't the iphone 3g have this ability built in?

11. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Assuming that you are not joking (even though I think that you are), no, the iPhone 3G doesn't have any feature like this, although many apps out there (Super Monkey Ball in particular) eat up the battery life like there is no tomorrow.

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

And of course you can provide a source for this recommendation, right?

Cuz, it seems to contradict this official Apple doc.

13. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

Well nothing besides I am applecare support employee.

14. mappyman macrumors regular

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Play a movie with the screen on max brightness.

That's your best bet at the moment. (For an unattended phone that is. Playing a game may drain it faster, but you'd have to be there, playing it.)

16. severe macrumors 6502a

That's not very assuring.

17. Xephon macrumors newbie

Ugh, let's lay off the critical remarks.

The following are both true of lithium-ion batteries:

1. Recharging a partially discharged lithium-ion battery is more healthy than recharging a fully discharged lithium-ion battery.
    2. It is beneficial to fully discharge the battery, in regular intervals, in order to preserve the accuracy of the battery gauge meter.

And now, ladies and gents, proof:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

18. DamnDJ macrumors regular

DamnDJ

Couldn't have said it better myself. Short top offs are fine with only 1 full drain needed per month.

From Apple's Website :

Standard Technology

Lithium-ion batteries pack in a higher power density than nickel-based batteries. This gives you a longer battery life in a lighter package, as lithium is the lightest metal. You can also recharge a lithium-ion battery whenever convenient, without the full charge or discharge cycle necessary to keep nickel-based batteries at peak performance. (Over time, crystals build up in nickel-based batteries and prevent you from charging them completely, necessitating an inconvenient full discharge.)

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Source: http://www.apple.com/batteries/

19. Just1BadApple macrumors newbie

Path Tracker will do it for $.99

On an iPhone the Path Tracker App constantly polls the current location API which causes a heavy hit on the battery. The phone gets warm and you can almost see the battery meter falling (just kidding).

I don't subscribe to the battery discharging theory, but to each his own. I think a monthly drain/full recharge cycle helps keep the battery meter in calibration, since that value is a calculation not an actual measure of the battery capacity.

20. macdot macrumors 6502

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Worst App idea ever. Apple would never allow such a destructive App that would drastically increases iPhone replacements due to shorted lithium ion battery life. Draining a lithium Ion battery cases crystals to grow and reduces the charge up value. It ONLY needs to be done occasionally to reset the voltage regulator and even then is bad for the actual battery. The more charge it maintains and the less it is drained the longer it lasts.