App Request: tandem song/podcast play without a dongle

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by sir42, Aug 5, 2008.

1. sir42 macrumors 6502

My girlfriend and I each have iPhones, and on long subway rides we use a dongle to to split the audio coming out of my iPhone so we can listen to the same podcast or video.

However, it would be great if we could accomplish this without the dongle. Perhaps a future App could allow us to sync up songs or podcasts that we each have in our library, and play them in tandem through our own headset connection without using the dongle.

Other features could be:

1. Share a song/podcast/video over wifi (the above scenario assumes we each have the same podcast on our iPhones)

2. My girlfriend and I can never agree on the appropriate volume level, so this would allow us to each control our volume separately when listening to something in tandem

3. When I come home from a run, it would be great if iTunes could recognize where I left off in my current song/podcast and start playing it immediately from that point over my home speakers (without first performing a sync)

2. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Unfortunately, what you want is possible unless Apple themselves do it, or if you Jailbreak your phones. Developers aren't allowed to do anything at all with the iPod music on the device. Even if something is already playing, the most that can be done is make it stop (and even that is not guaranteed).