App reviews

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Cod3rror, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Hey,

Not sure this is the right place to ask this, but I'll go ahead anyway.

I have question to app developers.

When somebody leaves you a review, do you get a notification that somebody left you a review?

The reason I'm asking this is because, when I review an app is it worth mentioning some things a dev needs to improve upon? Do they read the reviews?

2. amarcus macrumors 6502

No, we don't get any type of notification but any half decent developer should be paying attention to user reviews!

Adam

3. psonice macrumors 6502a

No, we don't get a notification (and thank god - I had something like 300 reviews yesterday, it's bad enough getting masses of email notifications!)

It can be worth leaving feedback in the review - it depends on the app and the developer. Personally I use an app (AppViz) that downloads reviews daily. I then read all of them in general, although if like yesterday there are huge numbers I tend to skip through, just reading the longer ones and the ones with bad ratings to see if there's a problem.

I know other devs that don't read the reviews at all though. Problem is, some people will be constructive and give some good feedback, others will just trash the app and not actually explain what they don't like. Sometimes rival devs will do this too. You need a fairly thick skin. Also, as a rule reviews don't have the best feedback (that usually comes via email), and if you don't use AppViz or similar then it's a real pain to actually see the reviews from other countries.

My advice: Put a brief review on so it's there and publicly visible, but send it to the dev via email too, perhaps with more detail. If it's a very popular app, your review will probably get lost among hundreds of others, so it's much less worthwhile.

4. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Thank you for answering my question guys!

I'll continue leaving feedback and suggestions and getting in contact with them over email or twitter aswell.