App Rotation iPad

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by jnoxx, Oct 24, 2011.

1. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Hai everyone, another no-brainer here.

Me, as an iOS Developer, have the Itunes Connect Developer Guide as an bible.
    So, I know that ipad apps should have the ability to rotate the other way around to which they are supported, so if you support Landscape Right, you have to support Landscape Left, (same with Portrait).
    And alot of Apps are getting rejected on iPad only, for not supporting this.
    But why do some apps get through with having only LandScape Left support?
    This is just an question to the community, somebody that can prove me why?!

Greets, Noxx

2. phonk macrumors member

The AppStore approval process is a bit impenetrable...
    One thing I could imagine: Apps with camera support might don't need both directions, because the cam needs to stay in the upper left corner anyway.
    Or the reviewer of such app just had a bad day (or a good one for the developer).

3. smashatom macrumors newbie

Our iPad apps only have landscape left and right. We have full screen art work at 1024x768 resolution which wouldn't do so well when rotated and squished into 768x1024. The only way we would be able to support portrait mode would be to draw up 2 sets of artwork but that would be akin to making an entirely different app.

You should support landscape left, landscape right, and the two portrait modes if you can do so reasonably. This is more true for utility/productivity apps since it's all just menus and text. For games and other full screen graphical displays, it's not feasible and Apple has generally been OK with it. Case in point, Angry Birds HD, Fruit Ninja HD, etc...

4. jnoxx thread starter macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Smash, thanks for your response.
    But I know you can only support Landscape Left/Right, in the HIG's it says. That it IS allowed to support only one "orientation", in other means, portrait or Landscape, but that you HAVE to have Left/right or Portrait/Upsidedown.
    But, I have found a game which doesn't rotate at all (it starts up in Landscape left, and it doesnt rotate to right).
    So my question therefore is, what are their rules now, or is that app just really lucky that it got through?