Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

new-to-mac

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
Question on 1password

not to make this a 1password thread but as kyle is repulsing let me ask away :)

I have an iPhone, iPad, pc for work and a macbook air at home. it seems I need an individual license for each device, is this correct? if so, how much would this set me back during this holiday period?

merry christmas to all

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Sorry for the delay here folks. I was without internet due to the insane ice storm in the Midwest.

Kyle -

For clarification.

I have an iMac with 4 user accounts and each have their own AppleID. I would like to purchase the family plan but I’m confused on the pricing structure during the current special. Agile Store list a Single User License $34.99 (regular $49.99) and the Family License $48.99 ($69.99). The App Store currently list a Single user license as $9.99 (special price) .

Is there an App Santa special that will give me a larger discount for the Family license as it did for the Single User license? Thanks

Twinboys

First and foremost, are these 4 users separate people? If so, then yes you need a family license. If it's only you using these 4 user accounts then a single license is fine. We license based on physical people, not user accounts or computers.

The $34.99 price is for a single user license, same price on the Mac App Store.

$48.99 price is for a family license, this is only available from our website. (Normally this is $69.99)

You'll want that option for any Macs: http://www.agilebits.com/store/

Note that this is only for the Mac.

The $9.99 price is the sale price for the iOS application. The iOS application doesn't have a "family" pack option. This is actually Apple's system and we just have to work within it. They link purchases to an AppleID. So, if you have 4 iOS devices, each with separate AppleIDs then you need 4 separate apps. There's just no way around this other than using the same AppleID on each device (the way I suggest doing it actually).

Let me know if that helps!

Kyle, I am running Snow Leopard on my iMac and iOS 7 on my iOS devices. Will this cause a problem in 1 Password. Which of these are best to set up first, iOS or Mac?

You can purchase a 1Password 4 license and let me know via PM and I'll make sure to issue you a 1Password 3 license. This will let you use 1Password 3 on the Snow Leopard computer.

This will sync fine to 1Password 4 for iOS via Dropbox (no wifi sync or iCloud sync)

If you have further questions please PM me so we can discuss details

----------

not to make this a 1password thread but as kyle is repulsing let me ask away :)

I have an iPhone, iPad, pc for work and a macbook air at home. it seems I need an individual license for each device, is this correct? if so, how much would this set me back during this holiday period?

merry christmas to all

You would probably be best purchasing 1Password 4 from our website, the Mac+Windows bundle.

This will get you a single user license of 1Password 4 for Mac, and a single user license for 1Password for Windows for $48.99.

This also includes a free upgrade to 1Password 4 for Windows, currently in private beta.

Then for your iPhone and iPad, you can purchase for $9.99 from the iOS App Store on your iOS devices.

So, total would be $48.00 + $9.99 + Tax if applicable = $57.99 + Tax

If you're going to be syncing all of these together, you'll probably want to use Dropbox syncing. iCloud isn't compatible with Windows (Apple doesn't expose 3rd party app data to applications on Windows).

Let me know if you have any questions!

twinboys

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
Sorry for the delay here folks. I was without internet due to the insane ice storm in the Midwest.

First and foremost, are these 4 users separate people? If so, then yes you need a family license. If it's only you using these 4 user accounts then a single license is fine. We license based on physical people, not user accounts or computers.

The $34.99 price is for a single user license, same price on the Mac App Store.

$48.99 price is for a family license, this is only available from our website. (Normally this is $69.99)

You'll want that option for any Macs: http://www.agilebits.com/store/

Note that this is only for the Mac.

The $9.99 price is the sale price for the iOS application. The iOS application doesn't have a "family" pack option. This is actually Apple's system and we just have to work within it. They link purchases to an AppleID. So, if you have 4 iOS devices, each with separate AppleIDs then you need 4 separate apps. There's just no way around this other than using the same AppleID on each device (the way I suggest doing it actually).

Let me know if that helps!

You can purchase a 1Password 4 license and let me know via PM and I'll make sure to issue you a 1Password 3 license. This will let you use 1Password 3 on the Snow Leopard computer.

This will sync fine to 1Password 4 for iOS via Dropbox (no wifi sync or iCloud sync)

If you have further questions please PM me so we can discuss details

----------

You would probably be best purchasing 1Password 4 from our website, the Mac+Windows bundle.

This will get you a single user license of 1Password 4 for Mac, and a single user license for 1Password for Windows for $48.99.

This also includes a free upgrade to 1Password 4 for Windows, currently in private beta.

Then for your iPhone and iPad, you can purchase for $9.99 from the iOS App Store on your iOS devices.

So, total would be $48.00 + $9.99 + Tax if applicable = $57.99 + Tax

If you're going to be syncing all of these together, you'll probably want to use Dropbox syncing. iCloud isn't compatible with Windows (Apple doesn't expose 3rd party app data to applications on Windows).

Thank you for responding...this helped clear up a lot.

jaarso

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011

So, total would be $48.00 + $9.99 + Tax if applicable = $57.99 + Tax................................................

Hi Kyle. I just purchased iOS version today and I intend to purchase the Mac+Windows bundle but am not 100% sure that my wife will be using the product. She definitely needs a password manager but really needs it to be simple or else she gets frustrated easily. If I am interpreting the agilebits.com store pricing correctly, a family license for the mac+windows bundle is $69.99. If I start off by just purchasing the individual bundle for $48.99, would I be able to change it to the family bundle by just paying the difference if after showing the wife, she feels it would be easy enough to use?

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Hi Kyle. I just purchased iOS version today and I intend to purchase the Mac+Windows bundle but am not 100% sure that my wife will be using the product. She definitely needs a password manager but really needs it to be simple or else she gets frustrated easily. If I am interpreting the agilebits.com store pricing correctly, a family license for the mac+windows bundle is $69.99. If I start off by just purchasing the individual bundle for $48.99, would I be able to change it to the family bundle by just paying the difference if after showing the wife, she feels it would be easy enough to use?

There isn't a way to easily do that. But if you do end up needing this I can figure something out for you. Just PM me here and I'll get some options together and we'll go from there. I'm sure we can find something that works if you needed to upgrade to the family pack option.

If that works for you we'll do that.

jaarso

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
There isn't a way to easily do that. But if you do end up needing this I can figure something out for you. Just PM me here and I'll get some options together and we'll go from there. I'm sure we can find something that works if you needed to upgrade to the family pack option.

If that works for you we'll do that.

On second thought, can't I just get her set up with a free trial. That way we won't have to mess with changing the purchased version. Either way, I appreciate you offering to work with me.:)

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
On second thought, can't I just get her set up with a free trial. That way we won't have to mess with changing the purchased version. Either way, I appreciate you offering to work with me.:)

A trial would certainly work :) I just don't know when the sale is going to end at this point. I suspect if it lines up with the iOS sale, it'll end tomorrow night.

So, while a trial would give her a chance to try it, it may not be a lot of time.

But sure, if you want to buy a single user now and then upgrade to the family pack later, let me know via PM when that happens and I'll figure something out to help. There are at least a few options we can try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.