app signing help

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by MMonberg, Aug 13, 2016.

1. MMonberg macrumors newbie

MMonberg

Hi guys
    I just got a new MacBook 2016 and didn't know I had to transfer my developer profile (made on a Mac Mini that I sold). I just started developing and key signing and provisioning is a bit confusing. It's a free account since I'm just starting. It seems that my role have changed to "User" after installing Xcode on my new computer. Since it's only me I guess I should be admin? I also keeps getting these two errors:

Your maximum App ID limit has been reached. You may create up to 10 App IDs every 7 days.

And

No profiles for 'com.********.MyApp were found
    Xcode couldn't find a provisioning profile matching 'com.**********.MyApp'.

I can't load my app on my phone anymore.

What do I do?

Thanks in advance
    Michael

2. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Yes, code signing can be confusing. It's a multi-step process and when it fails at the end you get 'So Sorry, didn't work.' as an error message. I don't have a free account so I don't know for sure the issues.

Most likely what you need to do is start from the beginning like it's a new account. If you can sign into iTunes connect then revoke any certificates that are there. Then create a new identity for yourself and things should work after that.

One of the basic concepts of code signing is the 'identity.' An identity consists of a private key and certificate. You must create an identity for yourself and then it's registered with apple. Your identity is stored in the keychain on your Mac. Your identity was lost when you sold your Mac. You can export the identity into a file that can be transferred to another computer and then imported into that Mac's keychain. You need to revoke the identity in iTunes connect and build a new one. The provisioning profiles are also tied to the developer's identity. It can be a good idea to store your identity on removable media, like a thumb drive or dvd. Apple uses their own identity to code sign apps that are downloaded from the app store. Imagine how they must secure that.

3. MMonberg thread starter macrumors newbie

MMonberg

Thank you for the reply but there seem to be another problem. It's seem my profil has changed from admin to user so I can't change anything when I login to my account. Guess I'll have to write Apple.

4. 1458279 Suspended

It's been a while since I did this but don't you have to register each computer with iTune as a developer computer?

It sound like the account is tied to the computer you no longer have, so I'd look into dropping the old account and creating a new account on the new computer.

I think after that, you'd have to register each test device to that new account.

I don't think there's any disadvantage to setting up a new account.

I really wish Apple would change these thing to make them easier. Mine gives me warning that the profile will expire every day and it's only good for about a week. That sucks when you're out trying to sell a product or have a bunch of different "show and tell" apps and have to time it so that they all work. Apple needs to relax or streamline the process a bit.