App sizes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NDimichino, Jun 9, 2008.

1. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

In the keynote, Steve mentioned that apps 10 MB or smaller can be downloaded over the cell service, while all the apps 10 MB or larger would have to be downloaded over Wifi or via iTunes.

Can we assume this means the average size of an app will be about 10 MB?

This is leading up to my final question of if you guys think I would have enough memory to be able to use the full features of 2.0 like games and stuff with my 4GB phone.

I figured I could cut it down to about 100 songs if I needed to, as I do still have my 30GB iPod video. I really wanted the 3G version, but with the struggle to sell my first gen iPhone I might just keep it if it could be as good as I hope. That MLB.com app looks insane.

Thoughts?

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

Most non-game applications will be much less than 10MB. Large 3D games could be a couple hundred MB or more.

3. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Well, one problem is we don't know if there'll be any compression - large apps would compress very well even using standard Zip compression, so if Apple automatically compresses the apps (when applying the Fairplay DRM), then I'm sure most apps will be fairly small.

Aside from that, it all depends on what kind of Apps you like. Games like the ones they've shown (like Super Monkeyball, Cro-Mag Racing) are going to be pretty darn big compared to that MLB app. Something like that using mostly standard iPhone interfaces won't take up much space at all.

4. mtfield macrumors 6502

I'm not sure why, but i'm really excited for super monkey ball! hahah sadly it will probably be my first purchase haha

5. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

So do you all think it would be alright if I kept my 4-gig, memory-wise?

Also, do you think there will be a way to toggle the apps on your phone so someone running out of memory like me could put games on it and take games off as I please without having to purchase them again? Obviously I'm thinking through iTunes somehow?

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

As a somewhat related fact, there is a 2GB hard limit on the size of a single AppStore application.

7. mtfield macrumors 6502

Yea it will be much like syncing games or podcast or movies already through itunes so you can change it up at will. I think if you have been getting along alright with 4gb thus far and your happy with it then i don't think it will be hard for you to get by with it post app store as long as you only keep must have apps with you at different times.

8. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Yeah, Apple did say that once you buy an App, you can then download it as many times as you want until the end of time, at least until you get a new phone :)

9. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Alright sick... I'm def keeping my first gen then. I really wish the new one wasn't plastic but whaddya gonna do?

10. mtfield macrumors 6502

Yea I really liked the aluminum backing... Looked really good, but If the reception rumors are true then I'm willing to trade the back to the plastic for better strength in some of the more spotty areas. One thing that i'm looking forward to with the plastic back is i'm hoping it will be a bit more durable, (not saying that the 1st gen wasn't durable) but I will have better piece of mind if i'd drop it... I was constantly worried I would drop my first gen and it would dent... atleast plastic cant dent.. just crack:confused:

11. philgilder macrumors 68000

exactly - id rather have a dented iphone than one with a cracked back

12. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

i will take a dent or ding over a crack ANYDAY. a crack leaves the inside vulnerable to moisture and stuff, and looks AWFUL.. and ding or dent on metal is a lot less noticable

13. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Thanks for all the feedback, I just took my first-gen iPhone out of it's box (had it all packaged for sale), called AT&T, got my iPhone data package added back on and I'm good to go.

Next step: App store July 11, can't wait.

14. mtfield macrumors 6502

I think it is really all going to depend on the quality of the plastic. If it's high quality I think i'd almost prefer the plastic, will be stronger. But if it's cheap plastic (which I doubt) then I will be bothered because that will become much more delicate than the aluminum back was.