app so that certain windows (eg. Safari) always appear on 2nd display?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by malch, Feb 21, 2015.

1. malch macrumors 6502

Hi there,
    Every time I launch Safari I have to drag the window over to my 2nd display, because I need my MBP display for other work.
    Is there an app that would make my Safari window always open on my 2nd display (unless I'm out of my office with my MBP, in which case I don't use a 2nd display)?
    I see all sorts of Window Managing apps out there, but it seems to me they do quite different things.
    Thanks for any advice,
    malch

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

I'm assuming you're using Yosemite, as things are a bit different on older versions of OS X...

You shouldn't need an additional app. On the display upon which Safari is located, right-click (or CTRL-click) on the Safari icon in the Dock. Select Options > Assign To: All Desktops/This Desktop/None. If you are viewing Desktop 1, and Safari is currently on Desktop 2, "Desktop 2" will also appear as an option.

Note that Safari won't automatically show up on your primary desktop when you aren't connected to the second display - you'll have to switch to that second desktop via Mission Control http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204100

3. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much, Apfel—this will help save me valuable seconds MANY times a day, so I really appreciate it. Plus I like not having to buy an extra app.
    Regards,
    malch

----------

Hmmm. When I right click on the Safari icon in the Apple dock, I get these Options only:

Keep in Dock
    Open at Login
    Show in Finder

I am indeed using Yosemite. So I must be missing a step somewhere!
    malch

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes
    You haven't read the link that ApfelKuchen provided about Mission Control. That's your primary app that allows you to easily distribute apps and windows on the screens that you want to use - including virtual screens.

5. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

The OP clearly said second display, not second desktop.

Normally apps will remember their position on Quit, but in this case it sounds like your MBP might be assuming you want your main screen if you ever opened Safari while away from the second display.

6. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I am getting the same thing. Safari always opens on my rMBP screen rather than my larger external display. Many other apps remember which screen they were last used on. I am currently using Mavericks.