App/software for analysing photos?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by snerkler, Jul 4, 2013.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

Is there a free/cheap app/software that analyses photos to show things like shutter speeds, ISO values etc? Get info does not give this kind of information unfortunately.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Assuming that the information has not been stripped Preview can do it on a per-image basis. Or do you mean a whole folder of images at once?

3. Bear macrumors G3

I'm seeing some of the Exif information you're asking for in Get Info - see attachment. Both iPhoto and Aperture can show the full Exif information of course. And for a command line tool, try ExifTool.

For Preview, the Exif information is available in the Inspector Window (Command-I).

Attached Files:

4. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's the info I get too, but apparently you can bring up even more info than this such as ISO's and shutter speeds. (according to a guy on AV forums anyway). Apparently going to properties>details on PC gives this info, so I'd have thought if PC can do it then surely Mac can? I haven't tried this for myself on windows though to clarify.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That has the shutter speed (1/80). I think the ISO is on there somewhere too (not on the bit in the screenshot though).

6. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

D'oh, so it is. It's just the ISO and white balance then. I can't see ISO on mine, but then again I missed the shutter speed :eek:

7. Bear macrumors G3

Well Preview can show a whole lot more information:

Attached Files:

8. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's exactly what I wanted, thanks so much :) I knew Mac would be able to match/beat PC ;)

9. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

There is also the Safari Extension ExifExt that does this in safari, if the info. hasn't been stripped or hidden, like Flickr does. You just right click any picture you want the exif data for and voila.

Credit for knowing about that extension goes to someone else here that mentioned it a few weeks ago, but, I can't recall who. :eek:

10. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I use chrome rather than safari though.