App store, 1 app-2 phones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spyker3292, Jul 1, 2008.

1. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I was recently thinking about the iPod games. They all can be played on whatever iPod is using that account. So if I had 2 iPods, I could put the game on both. But what about the iPhone apps? Will it be the same? Could I buy an app and then could my dad also have that app on his iPhone?

Thanks.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't know how that iPod thing works, but I seriously doubt you'll be able to put anything other than a free app on more than one device per purchase. This is still a good question, but software makers gotta eat, and that's how almost all of them work. If it's for more than one device, it will mention it (like how you can buy the 5-license version of Leopard).

3. elbirth macrumors 65816

well musicians have to eat and making music is how they work... yet we can put purchased songs on up to 5 devices, so I don't see why it'd be different with the iPhone, really. That's not to say you'll for sure be able to put the app on multiple iPhones, but I think it would be pretty dumb for them to restrict it that much.

4. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well.. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

5. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Jobs said the apps would have Fairplay DRM on them, so I assume 5 computers and 5 devices, just like music.

6. WillisWasabi macrumors newbie

I just tested this...

My wife and I authorize each other's computers for our iTunes music purchases (though we still occasionally both buy the same song...).

She bought MLB At Bat over 3G today. When we got home, she dragged it out of her iTunes on XP onto a network share. I dragged it into my iTunes on Leopard. It lists as purchased under her name. I synced and now I have At Bat on my iPhone too. I'll try my touch whenever I get around to purchasing 2.0.

7. kenrobin macrumors regular

I agree. My wife and I have iPhones. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like you can put your apps on more than 1 iPhone.

8. WillisWasabi macrumors newbie

It worked to the Touch too. Two iTunes and three Mobile OS X devices seems like it would translate to the usual FairPlay rules.

9. jasincity macrumors member

It will work on both. I have apps running on both my 1st Gen iPhone and the 3G.