Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tharius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2011
I just bought the new MacBook Air 13 inch and I was wondering what apps you guys would suggest that I can purchase.

Some basic information:
1. I'm a college student, so anything like note-taking or apps beneficial like that I would greatly appreciate.
2. I don't have an interest in purchasing any type of media (movies, music, shows)
3. I don't really want to purchase any games.
4. I have an iPhone also, so suggestions for that as well would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
You might want to keep $20 (I'm guessing that's what it'll cost) or so of that hundred for OS/X Mavericks, which should come out in the next month or two.

Calady

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
San Francisco, CA
I take some online classes at my school and I would recommend getting an app that you can highlight your pdf. It come in handy when reading the online supplements.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I just bought the new MacBook Air 13 inch and I was wondering what apps you guys would suggest that I can purchase.

Some basic information:
1. I'm a college student, so anything like note-taking or apps beneficial like that I would greatly appreciate.
2. I don't have an interest in purchasing any type of media (movies, music, shows)

Best advice I can give you (especially in light of #2 and 3 on your list), as you cannot use it to buy merchandise with, at the Apple store, sell it online, and get yourself a little HDD, to back up your content with TimeMachine. That may sometime in the future become the best $$ spent.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If nothing is interesting you with the gift card app wise, then sell it. People are getting around 80 bucks so you might as well get some cash if you're not interested in using it.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
If you do not have Microsoft Office, get Pages and Keynote (Skip Numbers). However that is IF since office is better by quite a bit.

iStudiezPro - You can buy the Mac and iOS version which syncs class schedules, assignments, and other good college stuff together. I HIGHLY recommend getting this. I have it for my MBA, iPhone, and iPad and it works flawlessly.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Pages, for typing documents that require any more powerful styling than TextEdit.

I take some online classes at my school and I would recommend getting an app that you can highlight your pdf. It come in handy when reading the online supplements.

(That can be done in Preview.)

Don't rush to spend the rest – there are lots of great apps for everything, and you'll probably run into something you love eventually.

Bilalo

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2012
Oxford, England

Some basic information:

Get this freebie
https://stacksocial.com/sales/the-mac-freebie-bundle-2-0

Keep checking on this website and subscribe to them, they make insane deals.

Download Pages, Keynote which are like microsoft word and powerpoint for mac since u cant use the $100 to buy office bcz its not on the app store/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.