App Store a mess?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by firewood, Nov 16, 2012.

1. firewood macrumors 604

Do users find the iOS 6 App Store to be a mess?

Developers certainly think it is. Search for keywords, or the name of an app, and you may have to scroll sideways several dozen times to find the app you want. Many users give up, and some pretty good apps (by reviews and ratings) are buried in the listings and thus don't sell anymore. Some new-ish apps can't even be found by name in the iOS App Store by searching or anything, only by a direct link from the developers web site using Safari. Lots of small developers are saying that they're about to give up.

Can you find the apps you want?

2. blatopilot macrumors regular

It's messy, slow, and inconsistent. It's remarkable how bad its gotten.

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Only if I know the exact name of it. The days of simply browsing and hoping to find something are long gone.

Also, don't forget the short lived bug that would only allow you to scroll through 24 apps. That was extra fun.

4. hektor5wolf macrumors member

What about the Japanese version of it? They always seem to forget checking if the font size is right (Look at audiobooks in the lower tabs)

[​IMG]

5. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Lol first time see a Japanese App store screenshot. Yeah the words may not be so aligned, but I think it's not that bad, still ok.

6. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

It used to be a joy browsing for new apps. Now; not so much.

Just as an example, just now I was browsing categories and 3 times I ran into blank pages.

7. firewood thread starter macrumors 604

Please send that complaint to Apple. The more complaints they get from actual customers, the more likely that someone in management might pay attention and fix the problem.

8. brylliant macrumors regular

brylliant

The new App Store is good, but it is just poorly executed.

9. h4mza macrumors 6502

Yeah i really hate the new look, i wish they make a cydia tweak to bring the old layout back :rolleyes:

10. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

This is the single biggest flaw of the new layout for me. It's a super-fiddly experience. Other than that, I think it generally does look better.

11. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Oh, I have.

12. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I don't have any issues with the latest App Store updates

13. hektor5wolf macrumors member

Tap to tweet used to not be aligned too! LOL Maybe they don't test the Japanese version that much:p

14. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

on thing that Apple does really better than Google: top lists (paid and free) are based on my country. So I won't see Chinese and Russian stuff in top list (this is what I see in Play Store and YouTube overview)

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

With iOS 6 the changes to the app store made finding an app that much more harder awkward and frustrating :(

16. v0n macrumors member

Side slider app store is really bad. It also takes forever to launch and load between pages on 3G. What's worse, is that if you search for something (and you have to be really specific and the search doesn't seem to search full descriptions), find it on page gazillion and five, then press description to see what the app is all about, find it's not what you were looking for and press <Search/back button you end up on first page of search rather than page you were previously viewing, with gazillion and six pages to scroll through again just to reach the point were you last left the results.
    I sometimes just give up browsing for apps after first entering of description and pressing back button out of sheer resignation with how bad this search system is and how long it would take to find anything at all.

17. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

The Top Charts page in the iPad version is horrendous. It's laggy, scrolling is choppy, and every now and then it doesn't register touches correctly.

18. TC03 macrumors 65816

Agreed, it's unbelievable that Apple would release it in this state. The old version was much, mch better!

19. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

I gave up on the App Store. All I use it for now is to update apps. Anything I try to do in the store it blacks out and crashes. Since iOS 6 I have not purchase one app I use to purchase apps all the time but how can I if the POS store keeps crashing.

20. Skb3735 macrumors newbie

I wonder if apple will notice a decline in purchases. I find myself wanting to visit the App Store less under the new design.

21. firewood thread starter macrumors 604

Lots of developers are reporting a decline in Apple's developer forums. Since Apple gets a big cut of a paid app's price, they will notice when doing their next quarterly financial summary.

22. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

Feel sorry for the devs. I use to buy many apps from the new devs as they have some great utilities. But now with the turd of the App Store I can't even find them because search keeps crashing. Browsing in the catagories keep crashing. Just by a google search or a news story here I can find a new app I might buy but I have not bought any since iOS 6.

23. firewood thread starter macrumors 604

One good alternative is to use an iOS app aggregation or review web site (such as http://appshopper.com/) to find apps.

These sites, viewed on Safari, usually provide a working link from an app to the App Store on the device, even if the App Store app itself can't find the app.