App store (an error has occurred - issues downloading applications)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Doomdab, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Doomdab macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm having a problem involving the mac app store. The narrative is as follows...

1. After a clean-install, I was re-downloading my applications in the purchased section of the app store. (Note: I noticed earlier that downloading from apple (updates, etc) was being excruciatingly slow.) When downloading the apps, an error message appeared stating "An error has occurred" next to the "install" button, although oddly enough, the applications *had* installed and were working okay.

2. I contacted apple via email (an overly-nice chap called Eric) who told me, after "serious" discussion with his senior, to delete the applications from my computer and reinstall them - this would, he claimed, fix the issue.

3. I did as he said, but this made the problem worse, since I was then unable to install said applications at all! I would click the "install" button, it would go white for a second and then go back to saying "install" - the apps had not installed. I logged out, closed down the app store, reopened, etc.

4. Upon reopening, I saw that one of them, iAlarm, had installed although the original error message is still attached. The others are stuck with "paused 0 bytes of 0 bytes", and are not moving. When I click "resume" nothing happens.

I've noticed also, that my OS X Lion now says "download" instead of "install". I bought it last summer, but did not like it and so reverted back to Snow Leopard. I worry that there is an error and if I decide to upgrade at a later date, I will be charged again. Any thoughts?

Eric told me there were no reported issues with the app store and that it was working fine, but it seems to me that there is obviously a serious error with the app store at my end. Basically, I cannot download ANYTHING anymore.

I have contacted Eric again, but have had no reply. Can anyone here suggest a solution? Apologies for the length of this, I wanted to get as much as I could across. Many thanks in advance.

:)

Attached Files:

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

All Apple Stores use the cookies from Safari.
    Therefore you need to enable the cookies in Safari.
    Then should work.

Update all the Apple Software.
    And Sign Out the Apple App Store, sign back in, it might ask you to re-check your payment information for verification, and probably ask for adding some security questions.

Apple Care Help Desk have no clue about the cookies. And none of the Apple Support Documents seems to mention it.

3. Doomdab thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm shocked at how easy that was to solve! How on earth does apple support not know this?

Thanks for your help, McGiord. Legend!

D. :)

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I can think of several reasons, even I do not agree with them.