Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evereddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
I have never been a diehard fan of Apple. Let me get that out of the way. The reason being I do not like a company controlling me, telling me this is the only way you can get our product, and this is the way we will sell it to you and this is the price you are going to pay and so on. I understand that many people like Apple because they are simple and supposedly stable.
Well I took the bait and bought an iPhone. At first I had no problems, but what is with this constantly having to pay for a system upgrade. These are fixes to something I purchased, is this normal with Apple? Also I have noticed a huge number of apps that simply do not work, or barely work, or crash the unit or are really junk. I thought Apple monitored and controlled what apps were released. It seems anyone can release nearly any app in the app store no matter the quality. Is this also the norm with Apple? I see Apple is coming out with a new tablet computer. They are innovative and this product interests me, but will this be more of the same as with the iphone?
Apple loyalists, please let me know. I am not bashing Apple I am just concerned with what I percieve Apple should be and what reality is. Maybe I believe advertising too much.:confused:

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Not sure what you are referring to as far as having to pay for a system upgrade, OS updates are free. If you purchase an App from a third party vendor and they charge for an update then that is between you and the App builder.

I have had an iPhone since the original one. I have not had apps crash on me and I have say 25 or so on my iPhone 3G.

Patience, you'll be very happy once you start using it more.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
At first I had no problems, but what is with this constantly having to pay for a system upgrade.

Where did you hear that, and what exactly are you refering to? iPhone users have never had to pay for an OS upgrade -- I can refer you to a few disgruntled iPod touch owners who had to pay for each new major OS revision, but iPhone users have always gotten all OS upgrades for free. If you are referring to something else please clarify, but I have no idea what you could be referring to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.