Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

App Store and iTunes Store Unavailable for Some Users Amid Service Outage [Update: Fixed]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to Apple's System Status page, the iTunes Store, the iOS App Store, and the Mac App Store are currently unavailable for some users, making it impossible to do things like purchase new apps and download app updates.

The System Status page indicates the outage has been ongoing since approximately 12:30 pm. Pacific Time, which corresponds to many reports on Twitter and other social networks about the downtime.

Customers have been complaining about being unable to download apps and install app updates, with some complaints being attributed to the new iOS 10.2 update. The problem is an App Store problem rather than an issue with iOS 10.2, and should be resolved shortly.

Update: Apple's System Status page says the App Store, iTunes Store, and Mac App Store outage has ended and the services are functioning as normal.

Article Link: App Store and iTunes Store Unavailable for Some Users Amid Service Outage [Update: Fixed]

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They should probably distribute updates a bit more, rather than releasing 3 major updates all at the same time. Puts too much demand on their systems. That's likely what contributed to (but not necessarily caused) this outage.

Reactions: Ghost31
Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm unable to use OTA updates for apps on my iPhone, and iTunes showed a 500 error page, which caught me off guard. I generally disagree that Apple went the way of the web for their iTunes pages. I preferred their previous WebObjects implementations. Had a better "feel" to the interaction, but maybe that was too complex to work with.
[doublepost=1481579324][/doublepost]
It's just one thing after another with Apple these days! o_O

After they delivered updates to 3 separate operating systems on schedule? Then millions of devices connect to get those updates? Apple has my full respect in trying to manage that, even if I don't agree with how they've done it. Distribute things a bit more and that may avoid this issue.

Comment

JosephAW

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2012
I am getting a message that the store is down when I launch apps on my iPhone 6 iOS 10.1.1
I'm not trying to buy anything. Does iOS 10 phone home when you launch apps?

Comment

33man

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
Yep same on my iPhone 7+ with 10.2... It une seems down and connecting to game center or store is not working...

Quick apple a new beta or release :)

Comment

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
I just updated my iPhone 7 to 10.2 and I can't even complete the setup by signing into iCloud. Apple, you continue to disappoint to ever greater degrees.

Comment

aplnub

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
I can't make purchases on my iPhone after the update. My son can and he did not update.

We do not have a new MBP.

Last edited:
Comment

aces99

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
Last edited:
Comment

abbstrack

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
SoCal
I had issues prior to updating to 10.2. I've had apps that needed updating since this am, and I tried several times only for them to time out and go back to the update button after clicking. I upgraded to 10.2 in hopes that this would solve things, and it didnt.

Comment

Micool1

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2014
Just when I had decided to restore my phone as new... Now I can't download my apps :(

Comment

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
I haven't updated to the new 10.2 OS (still on 10.1.1) on my iPhone 6s+, and even I'm having problems, so it's not users of new products & it's definitely NOT related to the new OS.

Reactions: n8cousins
Comment

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Reactions: ohio.emt
Comment

jessejarvi

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
Actually no that's not true. I have an iPhone, iPad Peo and a iPad Mini and every since upgrading to IOS 10.2 this morning I cannot connect to ITunes or download any apps. Here is a post with many people having the exact same problem. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cannot-connect-to-itunes-store.2021252/ So it's not just users of the new MacBook Pro.
You clearly didn’t notice the "/s” on @farewelwilliams’s post.

In other news: This outage f…ing sucks.

Comment

NickD73

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
Arizona
The kids at Apple are all just throwing another party celebrating some milestone. Cashing out their stock, paying each other with more massive stock bonuses. This company is totally drunk. My next phone and laptop will be non-Apple products for the first time in 4 years.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.