Resolved App Store and Lion (free) download

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DewGuy1999, Aug 3, 2011.

1. DewGuy1999, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Yesterday I completed the OS X Lion Up to Date Program form for my MacBook Pro purchased last month and got my free download code, but I've got a few questions before I rush off to redeem it. Since I've only had my MacBook Pro for a little over a month I haven't used the App Store yet so these questions may sound stupid to those of you with App Store experience...

1. Does anyone know if the code expires if not used right away?
    2. Can I enter the code now but actually download Lion at a later date?
      If so, is there a limit to how soon I have to download it?
    3. I have very low-end DSL (up to 768 Kbps) so this is going to take a long time to download, if the download is interrupted does it have the ability to resume, or does it start over from the beginning?

Thanks!

2. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

i can only answer no. 4
    yes, if for some reason you lose your internet connection, the download will start from 0% [start from beginning]

but you can head over to the apple store and use their wifi. i remember reading an article [on MRs?] that they will let people do that

3. DewGuy1999 thread starter macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Bummer, I was afraid of that. Thanks for the tip, but the nearest Apple Store is more than 100 miles away for me so that's not an option.

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

• Does anyone know if the code expires if not used right away?
    Not sure

• Can I enter the code now but actually download Lion at a later date?
      If so, is there a limit to how soon I have to download it?
    Absolutely, you can download it as many times as you need, whenever that may be (just like the iOS app store). For that reason, I'd suggest using your code now (and if the download starts, just stop it), so it's ready to download whenever.

• I have very low-end DSL (up to 768 Kbps) so this is going to take a long time to download, if the download is interrupted does it have the ability to resume, or does it start over from the beginning?

Assuming that's kilobits per second, you're looking at 96kilobytes per second. Lion is 3.3GB, so overall that will take 10 hours to download. Just leave it going overnight or something: P

As for resume, it is available, but when my connection got severed downloading Xcode it had to restart. Maybe that was just a fluke or something.

5. DewGuy1999 thread starter macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

That's what I'll probably end up doing, I just need to time it so it falls during a good stretch of weather. We've had multi-day/night predictions for thunderstorms recently, so we don't do big downloads and the computers and DSL get unplugged when we're not going to be here or are sleeping. Hopefully we'll get some better weather soon and I can get Lion downloaded.

6. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Just a suggestion: Can you not leave it download overnight?

7. DewGuy1999 thread starter macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I can (with conditions), see my last reply for an explanation.

8. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Sorry I didn't read your first reply ignore me!

9. DewGuy1999, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

DewGuy1999 thread starter macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Looks like the weather is going to cooperate and I redeemed my code and I've got it downloading now...going to take over 13 hours...

10. DewGuy1999 thread starter macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Download completed in about 13.5 hours. I was using the internet quite a bit during that time so it probably would've taken less time if it had the full bandwidth to itself. Had a hickup near the end of the download but I was able to resume it. Once completed I cancelled the installation (as I'm still dealing with Eudora and Quicken transitions) and made a copy for future use (will probably put it on a bootable hard drive partition). Hope to be able to get it installed soon and join the Lion users. :)