App store Aperture 3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by miamijim, Jan 14, 2011.

1. miamijim macrumors 6502

I have Aperture installed on my iMac but it is not registering as installed in the App store, is this usual.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, because you bought it outside of the app store.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you have the latest update to Aperture 3 installed and Aperture is in it's usual location (in /Applications) it should show as installed (but not purchased) in the App Store.

4. miamijim thread starter macrumors 6502

This is what I thought it should say installed but it does not.

I have the latest version in my application folder on my imac HD

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mine doesn't and I've not heard that purchases installed outside of the app store show up in any form in the app store, quite the opposite.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

7. Fuchal macrumors 68020

It doesn't really make a difference - you won't be getting updates through the App Store anyway.

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Mine shows as installed in the app store. I bought mine a year ago when A3 was released.

/Jim

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Some people have it show up as installed, some don't. At this point, no one's 100% sure as to the reason (seems to be tied to bundle ID's for the most part, but even that's not a sure shot right now).

The important, take-away point, however, is that the only difference is that if it shows up as purchased you can't easily (accidentally) purchase it again. You won't get updates through the Mac App Store, you won't be able to re-download it from there, etc. You got it from another source, it doesn't gain any of the benefits of the Mac App Store magically just from already being on the computer.

jW

10. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I bought A3 form the App Store and it says Installed. I also have iWorks installed from disks purchases a while ago and it also says "Installed" when I open the App Store

11. miamijim thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes my only query was to the fact that it does not show as installed, whereas iLife 11 does show as being installed even though it was already on my iMac same as Aperture was.

It is not a problem just interesting that some pre installed software shows and some does not.