App Store app size description doesnt match with the installed app size

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by anikaos, Oct 7, 2011.

1. anikaos macrumors newbie

So I went to the app store and searched for the game "battleheart", in the description it says that the size is 69.2mb but whe I installed it is taking 247mb of my itouch space. what's wrong with it? :mad:

pd. I'm using ios5 already and I saw the bigger app size under the storage menu

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Are you sure the 69.2 isn't the download size? There's also other things in there too. Like saved games, logs, settings, and other device created data.

3. anikaos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for answering!

Since I'm already using iOS 5 there is a section named "storage" under Settings>general>usage. There you can see each of you apps in a list followed by the space they are using. So I went there and noticed that the apps that are installed are occupying a little more space than the one showed in the description of the app store.

In the store I noticed that the game named "battleheart" weights 69.2mb but after installing I went to settings>general>usage>storage and saw the app icon, then I tapped it and says the following:

Battleheart
    Version 1.5.1
    App Size: 247 MB

Documents & Data - 16.0 KB

I know that the apps come compressed, but I mean..from 69.2mb to 247mb? This is really bothering me :mad:. Also I haven't played the game so I see no problem in the inside app data.

----------

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is what i mean.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I know what you mean. The compression is the only explanation for this. And depending on what's being compressed and what level of compression, it can get pretty small. Why not unzip the IPA on your computer to see what size the unzipped app is?

5. anikaos thread starter macrumors newbie

So I downloaded and extracted it and it really is 247mb, I still cant get why that huge difference. But anyways, I guess nothing can be done. Thanks for helping!

6. iLoveLingo.com macrumors newbie

iLoveLingo.com

That's an impressive rate of compression, but quite common with some games relying heavily on textures.

The reason for compression is that it a) speeds up download and b) saves you money if your carrier charges you by the mb :)

But I think you have a point, they should probably display both the size of the compressend package and the final uncompressed size to enable you to assess wether you have the space for it or not.

7. anikaos thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, that "super" compression is very useful for iphone users. But since I'm an 8gb iPod touch user I'm very paranoic with my device's capacity not to be wasted. I wouldnt mind if I had a 64gb one. :rolleyes:

8. iLoveLingo.com macrumors newbie

iLoveLingo.com

Know what you mean - 8 gb fill up pretty quick :p