Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Just a heads up - the Apps are locked to your appleid.

Just copied over a FREE app and it wanted to be authorised for use on my other Mac.

ALso,

How do you delete apps? Do you just trash them? Finder asks for a pw to delete them....

aussiegeek

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
You delete apps exactly the same way you would delete other apps not bought from the Appstore. Most apps can be uninstalled by deleting them, others do have files in your library/Application Support folder (and sometimes other folders too). If you aren't sure just use Appzapper to uninstall the apps.

Yes, apps are DRMed. Is this bad for you? The iPhone and iPad Appstore work exactly the same.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
You delete apps exactly the same way you would delete other apps not bought from the Appstore. Most apps can be uninstalled by deleting them, others do have files in your library/Application Support folder (and sometimes other folders too). If you aren't sure just use Appzapper to uninstall the apps.

Yes, apps are DRMed. Is this bad for you? The iPhone and iPad Appstore work exactly the same.

Nope - not a problem - just a heads up...

As for ap zapper - deletes the app and pref file . But then if you go back to the page in the app store it still says installed.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I think this was already known, but I'm pretty sure it lets you authorize as many computers as you want, so it just keeps you from "borrowing" a friends copy.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Just figured out how to delete -

Delete the app - drag to trash.

Enter admin PW

then restart your mac and you can download it again. It still says that it is in purchases but you can re-download.

I always want to be know how to remove things before I start loading computers up with stuff ;)

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
wait, you have to restart to get them not to say "installed"???

shouldn't the app store have an "uninstall" option when it is listed as "installed"???

annaj

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
i did not have to restart my computer, I didn't even have to restart the app store... I just clicked on a different tab (like top charts) and then clicked back on purchases... the button had changed from installed to install.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Has anybody already found out if I have to / am able to deauthorize Mac AppStore programs when selling a computer, setting up a new system etc. like you have to to with iTunes Store purchases? Or is the difference with the Mac AppStore, like somebody mentioned above, that you can really have it authorized on as many computers as you like? (and independently from iTunes audio and video?)

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Has anybody already found out if I have to / am able to deauthorize Mac AppStore programs when selling a computer, setting up a new system etc. like you have to to with iTunes Store purchases? Or is the difference with the Mac AppStore, like somebody mentioned above, that you can really have it authorized on as many computers as you like? (and independently from iTunes audio and video?)

i think the app is linked to your itunes store account and not your mac - where your itunes account goes your apps go

i think

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008

That's a good question... the MAS doesn't have a "Deauthorize this computer" option...

MacProDude

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2006
SF Bay Area, CA

Maybe I'm not following, but to deauthorize an app store app when selling a computer, just trash it (and you're secure erasing it, right? ;) ). The new owner won't be able to re-download it using your appleid.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Maybe I'm not following, but to deauthorize an app store app when selling a computer, just trash it (and you're secure erasing it, right? ;) ). The new owner won't be able to re-download it using your appleid.

Let me explain it this way: If you would format your computer five times without having de-authorized your iTunes purchases each time, you are still registered on five computers and won't be able to play your iTunes Store music and movies - and mabye even activate the iOS apps? - on the "sixth" computer (but you can contact Apple in this case, they will set everything to zero once a year, I guess). The question was if it is the same way with the Mac Store - if you have to be careful to de-authorize when changing a computer. But it seems as if the App Store software doesn't have to be handeled this way ...

Last edited:

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I've seen no confirmation that there is a limit to the number of computers you can authorise.

It's much harder to test the rules as it only works on Macs.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This was beyond obvious the day the whole thing was announced.

Exactly.

Reported many times on how it will work. Some people should read more and talk (post) less.

Of course you can de-authorize the computer.

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
So the summary of all this is that if I have multiple user accounts on our iMac, I need to activate each one of these so that they can all share apps downloaded? i.e. each user account counts as one activation towards a finite number (presumably 5 again?).

The other question then is does it also count towards the same limit of 5 for iTunes accounts?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you aren't sure just use Appzapper to uninstall the apps.
I use AppCleaner to uninstall apps. Deletes all traces of the app from everywhere.
AppZapper, AppCleaner, TrashMe, and similar apps do not do a thorough job of removing all files/folders related to deleted apps. I tested several of these, using Skype as the app to be removed. Of 17 items to be removed:
AppZapper missed 13 items
AppCleaner missed 11 items
AppDelete missed 8 items​
I also tested AppTrap, CleanMyMac and a few others, but don't recall how many items they missed. All left files/folders behind. In most cases, they remove .plist files and a few others, but leave behind much larger files and folders. (you will find a discussion of these tests in the thread linked below)

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Best way to FULLY DELETE a program

Last edited:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
So the summary of all this is that if I have multiple user accounts on our iMac, I need to activate each one of these so that they can all share apps downloaded? i.e. each user account counts as one activation towards a finite number (presumably 5 again?).

The other question then is does it also count towards the same limit of 5 for iTunes accounts?

I don't know if you have to activate it on each user account, but even if you do it is not counting toward any number. You just have to actually own the mac.

Can I use apps from the Mac App Store on more than one computer?

Apps from the Mac App Store may be used on any Macs that you own or control for your personal use.

Source

gorjan

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2009
CPH
AppZapper, AppCleaner, TrashMe, and similar apps do not do a thorough job of removing all files/folders related to deleted apps. I tested several of these, using Skype as the app to be removed. Of 17 items to be removed:
AppZapper missed 13 items
AppCleaner missed 11 items
AppDelete missed 8 items​
I also tested AppTrap, CleanMyMac and a few others, but don't recall how many items they missed. All left files/folders behind. In most cases, they remove .plist files and a few others, but leave behind much larger files and folders. (you will find a discussion of these tests in the thread linked below)

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Best way to FULLY DELETE a program

Yes well it wouldn't kill Apple to make it easier* to uninstall apps.

*Easier as in dragging the app to trash automatically includes plist, samples and so on. If you're to drag GarageBand to trash you still have GBs of samples on your HDD. :rolleyes:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes well it wouldn't kill Apple to make it easier* to uninstall apps.

*Easier as in dragging the app to trash automatically includes plist, samples and so on. If you're to drag GarageBand to trash you still have GBs of samples on your HDD. :rolleyes:
It's not up to Apple. It's up to each app developer to determine if they want to make app removal simple or complex. Apple doesn't control that. Many of them leave .plists and other files behind, in case you change your mind and later want to reinstall their app. Some are just sloppy in their housekeeping. At any rate, Mac OS X can't control how other apps behave.

VictoriaStudent

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
interesting

I just found out that it's incredibly simply to circumvent the DRM of the App store. Let's see - it took < 24 hours to 'break' App store DRM.

anyway....

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Exactly.

Reported many times on how it will work. Some people should read more and talk (post) less.

Of course you can de-authorize the computer.

Yes? Then show me where to de-authorize your Mac AppStore purchases ... And please don't say "Go into iTunes etc." It's an independent system, even if you use the same Apple ID for purchases as for your music/videos.

Mabye some people should read more (what the question was) and talk (post) less?

EDIT: As I see now after reading again - oh, the irony! - that your "Read more, post less"-comment wasn't aimed at me but the guy who was surprised the apps are locked to an Apple ID (which INDEED was obvious), I take my last comment back. :) However, you probably misunderstood the question about having to de-authorize Mac AppStore purchases or not - but I'm pretty sure they are not limited like music/video purchases to 5 machines (and therefore no need to de-authorize them separately somehow when re-installing a system etc.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.